• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Politicians and celebrities to be protected from child database"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

titbits
    tidbits

Main Entry:
    tid·bit Listen to the pronunciation of tidbit
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈtid-ˌbit\
    Variant(s):
    also tit·bit Listen to the pronunciation of titbit \ˈtit-ˌbit\

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

titbits
    Tidbit is correct. Titbit is a variation.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Don't worry so. The coming revolution will put a stop to this nonsense.
    What revolution is this? The one where we just sit round and whine and bitch?

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    What we need is an even bigger collapse of the economy to keep the government busy. Then they wont have time to do stupid things.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I have to confess that I have inadvertently against my will happened to notice a few tidbits from real life in the files. ...

titbits

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I have to confess that I have inadvertently against my will happened to notice a few tidbits from real life in the files.
    It's amazing how your fingers can just slip to type that query, isn't it

Uncannily, when I'm testing the AP part of the system, I need to know that the supplier I choose has lots of invoices. Like agencies, for example.

Best of course is when you see your own invoices going through the system, that gives a nice warm glow.
    Until you see how much the agent is making, having said "our margin is about 6%..."

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    That is not normal to do that and I would doubt they would do that.

These type of databases always had audit trails switched on and someone would be checking them 24/7. Usually what happened was that people could be marked as sensitive and if anyone opened the records then lights would flash on people's PCs.

It was fairly common for someone on the DB team to have to go down to a disciplinary as a witness because folk were looking at stuff they were not meant to.

Of course they never switched the audit trails on with the test DBs, all and no for me.

I have to confess that I have inadvertently against my will happened to notice a few tidbits from real life in the files. Best of course is when you see your own invoices going through the system, that gives a nice warm glow. But I have also e.g. worked for a pharma company and looked up their files on my own GP. Wondered if I should tell her when the next reps visit was scheduled so that she could avoid it; or just how much in the way of freebies was on the table....

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    That is not normal to do that and I would doubt they would do that.

These type of databases always had audit trails switched on and someone would be checking them 24/7. Usually what happened was that people could be marked as sensitive and if anyone opened the records then lights would flash on people's PCs.

It was fairly common for someone on the DB team to have to go down to a disciplinary as a witness because folk were looking at stuff they were not meant to.

Of course they never switched the audit trails on with the test DBs, all and no for me.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Hey look, this isn't such a big issue - you can only do single record lookups and you can't download more than one record at a time.

It'll be fine

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    That's all 400,000 staff with access to the database?
    They are not all government staff. For example, workers and volunteers with charities that work with children will also have access to this database. It will have children's names, addresses, ages, contact details, school and doctor names, etc, and parents will not be allowed to keep their children off it. Whew! Lots of scope for tracking kids there. Good thing there will not be a single dodgy character in the 400,000 with access, and the government will not lose the data.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    No, stop, everything is OK:

OK, so the data is safe in the government's hands.
    That's all 400,000 staff with access to the database?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    No, stop, everything is OK:

Baroness Morgan of Drefelin said all staff will undergo rigorous enhanced Criminal Records Bureau checks before being given access to ContactPoint.

The directory will be protected from hackers through sophisticated passwords, PINs and user identities, she said.
    OK, so the data is safe in the government's hands.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Still, the libdems will can it and the tories will reduce the scope...

linky

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Utter farce.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X