• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sub-$100 laptop design unveiled"

Collapse

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by DirtyOldMan
    For all you wonderful people out there may I present....

Britney !!

And for Chico, you may like this ....

I would, I so would, off to the loo now.....

Leave a comment:

• Chico
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    I called you "christian" because you make such efforts to say you are, yet strangely you say things and act in the most unchristian like way.

I should have said hypocrite.

This is exactly what we've all been saying to you Chicken since your pious little posts have appeared on this contractors board.

Today is going to be a good day!!!

Leave a comment:

• Chico
    replied
    Feature Article
    Intel eyes Africa as untouched market for WiMAX

Caroline Gabriel
    Research Director
    Rethink Research Associates
    Editor of WiMAX Watch

The telecoms equipment makers are all targeting growth regions of the world as their traditional sectors saturate, but most of their efforts have been focused on Asia and eastern Europe. Now attention is starting to shift to the least developed region of the world in telecoms and broadband terms, sub-Saharan Africa, with a battle set to develop in many greenfield areas between CDMA and WiMAX technologies.

There are many obstacles to creating businesses in many of the African countries – low average income, shortage of backhaul, threat of disruption from natural or civil war causes, often cumbersome regulatory processes. The main obstacle to growth of cellular or broadband wireless, according to the International Telecommunications Union, is the unsophisticated regulatory system that merely awards licenses, rather than creating competition or encouraging interoperability of networks.

But the region is the closest the world comes to a virgin territory, and so offers an almost level playing field for new technologies such as WiMAX and new international players such as China’s ZTE. It has massive growth potential in wireless because of its sparse wireline infrastructure and many of its economies are developing rapidly, with consequent growth of economic hotspots such as capital cities and expatriate business communities. The lack of any form of fixed infrastructure in many regions makes the potential enormous – penetration of fixed lines is only 2.8%, the lowest in the world. It will also be the focus of many internationally funded projects to start to bridge the huge digital divide.

As an example of the achievable growth curves in some countries, Nigeria’s mobile subscriber base rose from 2.8m in 2003 to 8.6m a year later and should reach 23m by the end of 2007, according to BMI-TechKnowledge. This Africa-based research firm predicts that combined fixed and mobile capex for the continent will reach $61bn for the period 2000-2009. They point out that the combined mobile and fixed line subscriber base in Africa had risen to just under 100m, with 68% being mobile by the end of 2004 and with projections that mobile subscribers could easily reach 140m in the next five years.

"The rapid growth in subscribers is expected to translate into a wide opportunity for infrastructure and equipment vendors as operators, both mobile and fixed, attempt to satisfy the demand. This forecast is considerably larger than previous projections, reflecting the global phenomenon of lowering affordability barriers even further, within the prepaid model, and the net positive economic impact on the individual subscriber of owning a phone," said the firm.

Against this backdrop, it is hardly surprising to find the infrastructure makers jostling for position, and Intel working hard to promote WiMAX.

One significant move came this week from Nortel, which announced its ‘Connecting Communities’ initiative for Africa. This aims to deliver broadband wireless capabilities to one underserved market in Africa as a blueprint that operators across the continent can emulate. This reflects a growing trend for network suppliers to work on packages of infrastructure, software and services that come as close to ‘out of the box’ as is possible in telecoms systems.

Nortel has yet to announce the location for its project, but believes CDMA450, the version of the technology for the 450MHz band, will be the best option. The 450MHz spectrum is attractive for build-out in sparse populations because base stations can reach very long ranges, making deployment relatively cost effective. CDMA is the main technology established in 450MHz, although Qualcomm’s other network, Flash-OFDM, also has a 450MHz variant, and IPWireless is working on one for its UMTS TDD platform.

"Wireless penetration in Africa is already more than double that of fixed networks, and we feel that there is an opportunity for communications access to be made available to more remote and dispersed areas to stimulate economic, healthcare and educational development," said Steve Pusey, president of Nortel EMEA.

The choice of CDMA450 highlights the attractiveness of these low spectrum technologies for mobile services in rural areas – availability of 450MHz frequencies is likely to be a significant driver of CDMA technologies outside their normal core territories, even giving the Qualcomm platform a toehold in Europe, where operators in Scandinavia and eastern Europe are looking to use 450MHz for rural build-out.

ZTE, which is becoming increasingly dominant in CDMA450 and has been making significant progress in emerging markets, has also been active in Africa, and in recent months has been awarded wireless or convergence projects in Egypt, Angola, Nigeria, Tunisia, Kenya, Zambia, Algeria, and Ethiopia.

It is likely to push its 802.16-based ZiMAX products there as they emerge (although these would be more appropriate, in their current form, for metro area systems, since they work in higher spectrum bands), but its solution of choice is currently CDMA450. ZTE even regards CDMA as a viable option for a converged fixed/mobile offering in areas where there is no fixed line network, whether wired or wireless. For instance, ZTE implemented the first CDMA2000 fixed wireless network in Africa, for Mundo Startel in Angola, earlier this year, bringing advanced services, including voice, data and wireless broadband, to eight states across the country and incorporating IP support.

With all this activity around CDMA, Intel is keen to promote the cause of its favored technology, WiMAX. Fixed WiMAX will have a natural home in areas where proprietary broadband wireless access has already taken root, particularly metro areas and business communities. But mobile WiMAX has an opportunity, in this relatively untouched region, of taking the role of the major mobile network, sidelining 3G altogether (where regulators allow). Sub-Saharan Africa has only two 3G networks in full commercial use, in South Africa and Mauritius, and Intel believes WiMAX will see its first commercial launches, using pre-certified fixed or mobile technology, before the end of the year.

With this in mind, the chip giant has stepped up its African activities and is putting efforts into encouraging regulators and governments to create a good environment for broadband wireless. The firm’s head of sub-Saharan Africa, Jacques van Schalkwyk, said Intel would open a Nigerian office this year to boost its presence in West Africa and another in Kenya for East Africa in the first half of 2006. Schalkwyk expects a WiMAX network to go live in South Africa and in Nigeria this year.

"Africa has a great opportunity to leapfrog traditional technologies and WiMAX can play a key role," he said in an interview.

The South African roll-out will come from Telkom, which has been testing 802.16-2004 solutions in a joint project with Intel. Telkom, South Africa's largest broadband provider, currently has two base stations running in government seat Pretoria, serving a small trial base. Voice over IP in conjunction with data transmission has already been demonstrated.

Telkom believes the technology could expand its customer base by delivering service to homes that are outside its DSL and fiber base. It will also be eyeing the potential of mobile WiMAX, since it owns a majority stake in Vodacom, Africa’s largest cellco (Vodafone holds the rest).

Schalkwyk said Intel was looking at developing a no-frills PC platform aimed at Africa and other emerging markets. There are several of these types of project underway now, including AMD’s development of an ultralow cost wireless appliance and MIT’s Hundred Dollar Laptop project. Most of these concept designs rely on Linux and Wi-Fi as their core technologies.

Intel is not the first to push WiMAX into the continent. There are pre-WiMAX projects in many countries, usually focused on major cities, and Africa accounts for about 10% of broadband wireless equipment sales. Redline’s RedMAX pre-certified WiMAX range, for instance, recently started trials, via distributor RapidCloud, in various countries.

RapidCloud said: "WiMAX is likely to have significant success in African markets as it provides a viable alternative to E1 as an access mechanism to in difficult terrain where the deployment of wireline networks is not feasible. The advantages of the technology are obvious - a single base station costing around $50,000 can act as a distribution point for broadband access at distances up to 25 kilometers in line of sight and 2.5km in non-line of sight scenarios, supporting up to 32 E1 equivalent connections. This significantly lowers the cost of broadband access while reducing the complexity of roll-out.”

WiMAX is also seen as a good backhaul option for the remote and underserved areas of Equatorial Africa.

On the mobile front, Navini Networks is working with Benson Online to build a wireless broadband network in Tanzania, for 2,000 subscribers, after a pilot in Arusha, near Mount Kilimanjaro. Benson is seeking a license from the Tanzanian government for voice services to be delivered over the network in the future. The roll-out will focus on big urban centers like Arusha, Mawanza and Dar Es Salaam.

Also targeting mobile broadband users in the continent is Wireless Business Solutions (WBS), which is using the ArrayComm iBurst technology in South Africa’s Johannesburg. WBS' iBurst network is now operating in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Pretoria, Durban, and Robin Island. WBS will continue to intensify its base station roll-out in metropolitan areas and is currently looking at beginning expansion to rural areas.

.... wimaxtrends.com

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Chico
    oh dear if you think calling me "christian" is an insult then dude you are deluded.
    I called you "christian" because you make such efforts to say you are, yet strangely you say things and act in the most unchristian like way.

I should have said hypocrite.

Why dont take your little "attitude" and go bother someone else who might gives a toss about anything you care to share.
    This is exactly what we've all been saying to you Chicken since your pious little posts have appeared on this contractors board.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    And you have not seen selfish and nasty attitudes on this board? Come on, give over!!
    Yes I have seen those attitudes in spades Chicken love, but what I have not seen is any proffesed atheists displaying said attributes.
    Stop with the anti anything not Christian thing, it doesnt become you and reduces any valid arguments you might have.

I am sure that eventualy they will roll out good wireless zones across africa, but at 30Km coverage you would need thousands of base stations.
    We visited bush villages that were.... oh, dont know the distance..... 1 hour in a 6 seater cesna, 2 hours in an ex army 7 tonner and then 5 hours in a dug out, probably a little more than 30Km from the neareast town, and that was 300Km from anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Chico
    replied
    LG - Just like the way mobile telephony has taken off in Africa, the major telecoms company are looking to deploy wireless technologies such as WIMAX (one solar powered base station -could provided internet access for 30 kms). The interesting thing about these laptops is that they are wireless enabled. The future is bright. And you have not seen selfish and nasty attitudes on this board? Come on, give over!!

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    As opposed to the cynical, selfish and downright nasty atheist that chirps in from time to time
    Cynical maybe, but selfish and nasty I have never seen. Who do you mean Chicken?

Personally, I think if they can distribute them pre loaded with lots of educational software then they might be a good idea.
    I doubt the technology is capable of reaching the nearest wireless network, let alone a cabled one for the internet.

I liked the bush tribesmen I met in Africa a couple of years ago. They would have no problem with lap tops, but I suspect the money would be better spent on schools and teachers to start with.

Leave a comment:

• Chico
    replied
    Thats a fake. Go figure...

Leave a comment:

• DirtyOldMan
    replied
    For all you wonderful people out there may I present....

Britney !!

And for Chico, you may like this ....

Leave a comment:

• Chico
    replied
    If you post that type of sh1te response like "internet forever" then what do you expect? Are you really that naive that you think the introduction of a $100 laptop will make a blind bit of difference without the investment of infrastructure, let alone the concept of a laptop to these people?

I really think your gullible christian beliefs in "moving mountains" have just taken a step too far.

Christian...FFS, you admit and proclaim the most unchristian things I've ever known. If you want to do your cause some good then I suggest you remove all your fingers and staple your mouth closed. As much as you want to visit this board to "fight the wrong said about christiandom", I will do the same for stupidity, naivety, ideaology and arrogance.

And fyi "christian", I have never said nor written that I am an athiest.
    oh dear if you think calling me "christian" is an insult then dude you are deluded. Why dont take your little "attitude" and go bother someone else who might gives a toss about anything you care to share.

PS. Idealogy? Ok dude.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Bloggs
    replied
    From the article: "Power is a big issue for developing nations in particular when it comes to technology, which is why the hand crank will be fitted to supply extra juice when it is needed."

I suspect they'll need a larger crank for the internet connection, all those packets to move down the pipe and all...

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Compare that to a $100 laptop with access to the internet forever
    If you post that type of sh1te response like "internet forever" then what do you expect? Are you really that naive that you think the introduction of a $100 laptop will make a blind bit of difference without the investment of infrastructure, let alone the concept of a laptop to these people?

I really think your gullible christian beliefs in "moving mountains" have just taken a step too far.

Christian...FFS, you admit and proclaim the most unchristian things I've ever known. If you want to do your cause some good then I suggest you remove all your fingers and staple your mouth closed. As much as you want to visit this board to "fight the wrong said about christiandom", I will do the same for stupidity, naivety, ideaology and arrogance.

And fyi "christian", I have never said nor written that I am an athiest.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Fleetwood1975
    Just what exactly is your average subsistence farmer in Ethiopia going to do with this bloody thing? Play solitaire while tending his goats?

Surely they would be better off spending their efforts in the search for better irrigation?
    Actually Ethiopia has a fantastic irrigation system, mainly underground, parts of it thousands of years old. The civil war has caused immense damage.

Leave a comment:

• Chico
    replied
    And herein lies the naivety of our little gullible christian...
    As opposed to the cynical, selfish and downright nasty atheist that chirps in from time to time

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Compare that to a $100 laptop with access to the internet forever.
    And herein lies the naivety of our little gullible christian...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X