• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Scientists find evidence Antartica is warming"

Collapse

• Cyberman
    replied
    Bring it on !!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    hhmmppf

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Take no notice of EternalOctopus. He's got eight arms and thinks your joke is in bad taste.
    On that basis my supposition is entirely wrong........ If the population is me, you, Mich, EO and the "unknown next" seen.....
    Me - 2
    You - unknown
    Mich - unknown
    EO - 8
    Unknown "next" - unknown

A known total of 10 arms for a population of 5 is an average of 2 - so even if you and Mich are totally armless the Unknown next is unlikely to meet my expectation (more than the average)...................... unless he is related to EO obviously.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Take no notice of EternalOctopus. He's got eight arms and thinks your joke is in bad taste.
    hhmmppf

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    I have a six year old grandson who wouldnt fall for your average arms jape. If you think thats actually any good you must just come off the banana boat
    That would probably be covered by my comment about not seriously believing that anyone but a numpty would fall for it....

My (original) point being that Statistics can be used to "prove" anything.........

Note: the use of quotation marks on prove..... by putting it in quotes I am acknowledging that it is a corruption of the word/definition of proof. ie Using (biased/out of cotext) statistics provides very (very) weak argument and certainly not proof. Even well supported and qualified statistics only provide support of an idea - proof is a different kettle of fish.

Note: Comparison to a "kettle of fish" doesn't mean that I am literally comparing the definition of the word proof to a "kettle of fish"....

Note:

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Eh?? And your point is?
    I have a six year old grandson who wouldnt fall for your average arms jape. If you think thats actually any good you must just come off the banana boat

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Solidec View Post
    Isn not the underlying train of though for the climate change activists that it is changing to more extreme conditions. The peaks and troughs will reach higher and lower respectively.

meaning hotter summers and colder winters. We have had 2 of the hottest summers since records began in the noughties and this winter has been colder than I have ever experienced through December/January. (granted I am not yet 30!)
    One of the reasons Global Warming was dropped as a moniker was because it was more a visible change to long established climate patterns, ie more extreme conditions and deviations from averages not seen in over 50 years.
    Then I suggest you leave this to the board experts, you're not really twisted or cynical enough yet to comment on this subject.... Some of them even remember a time before Bono.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    was it comfortable on that boat ? amongst all those bananas ?

Eh?? And your point is?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Thanks Mich - You have probably just cost me an awful lot of money....

Not that I seriously believe that anyone reading this forum would be enough of a numpty to fall for it....... errrrrrrrr Hang on a minute!!! Haven't several recent arguments/threads used (out of context/biased) statistics to "prove" something or other............
    was it comfortable on that boat ? amongst all those bananas ?

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Yes, he does, seeing as there are more amputees than people with an extra arm, the average number of arms is probably about 1.9999
    Thanks Mich - You have probably just cost me an awful lot of money....

Not that I seriously believe that anyone reading this forum would be enough of a numpty to fall for it....... errrrrrrrr Hang on a minute!!! Haven't several recent arguments/threads used (out of context/biased) statistics to "prove" something or other............

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Good old statistics........

I will bet an awful lot of money that the next person you see has more than the average number of arms............ Any takers?
    Yes, he does, seeing as there are more amputees than people with an extra arm, the average number of arms is probably about 1.9999

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    I wonder if anyone has pointed out to these scientists that when it is winter in Europe it is summer in Antarctica? I've noticed that, generally speaking, it is warmer in the summer than in the winter in just about every place in the world I've been and observed this.

I must admit I've not been to Antarctica, but I presume to extrapolate from my, all be it limited, observations that, it being summer in Antarctica now, it would probably be warmer there currently than the yearly average.

Now, can I have tulip loads of research grants?
    Good old statistics........

I will bet an awful lot of money that the next person you see has more than the average number of arms............ Any takers?

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    I wonder if anyone has pointed out to these scientists that when it is winter in Europe it is summer in Antarctica? I've noticed that, generally speaking, it is warmer in the summer than in the winter in just about every place in the world I've been and observed this.

I must admit I've not been to Antarctica, but I presume to extrapolate from my, all be it limited, observations that, it being summer in Antarctica now, it would probably be warmer there currently than the yearly average.

Now, can I have tulip loads of research grants?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    If you think this was cold, you should have been around in 1963...

And those who experienced 1947 say much the same... (snow up to the eves).
    They are the famous years of prolonged cold, but in 1987 I had the same snow in the footwell of my old mini for two weeks. The temperature didn't rise much above -10 deg C for all that time. My commute was only 20 minutes each way, not enough time to melt it.

And in the mid-1980s we had some nights of -20 deg C in Bedfordshire. A local milkman down the road lost two fingers to frostbite.

And in 1978 we had several football matches called off because our pitch was frozen and covered in snow.

We don't get 'em like that any more.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X