• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Shaking Hands!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Shaking Hands!"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    Stop dropping hints about your blue oyster adventures!

http://www.pouet.net/screenshots/31996.jpg

yee ha, the woolpack cowboy is back in town

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I've always found that the correct handshake will open all the right doors...
    Stop dropping hints about your blue oyster adventures!

http://www.pouet.net/screenshots/31996.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    And there was me about to say "PARKINSONS!!!! QUICK TO THE DOCTOR WITH YOU !!!!!"

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by teclo View Post
    I always feel dirty and unclean after someone gives me that limp, tip of the finger handshake. *shudder*
    That's it. I've been looking for a good reason to adopt the limp handshake and now I've got one. I'll report back on how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    I think a handshake's always a good opportunity to establish some dominance with a real 'gripper'. Also, turning your own hand slightly inwards so it's on top is good for establishing who is in charge.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    very good

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    It's because IT geeks have clammy hands, especially when meeting members of the opposite sex.

Leave a comment:

• contractor79
    replied
    it probably offends some people, so everyone has to stop it

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    It's a tough old life isn't it.

Leave a comment:

• teclo
    replied
    I always feel dirty and unclean after someone gives me that limp, tip of the finger handshake. *shudder*

If you are going to do that then don't bother shaking my hand.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I always offer an open hand to give a firm, manly handshake, but some people grab my fingers and shake them. I hate that. It leaves me wondering if I’ve given the limp wrist, but the more I think about it the more I realise it isn’t my fault; people should wait until they feel the palm of the greeter’s hand against their own before gripping and shaking.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Everyone here does it. Pain in the arse when you're meeting a load of people and everyone shakes each other's hands. Along with business cards here, when meeing clients, customer, suppliers, etc. everyon hands out their business cards first.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Agreed. Seems to be a lost art with people under about 25.

If they do shake (men) then its often a limp sweaty quivering thing, like grasping a dying cuttlefish.

When young women shake your hand, they seem to only want to offer you their fingers from the second knuckle. No palm contact please!
    Nothing worse, is there?

I did some interviewing last year and the yukky handshakers didn't do well.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Why can't people do this anymore?!!

What's wrong with everybody?

What a pathetic waste of space society we are becoming
    Agreed. Seems to be a lost art with people under about 25.

If they do shake (men) then its often a limp sweaty quivering thing, like grasping a dying cuttlefish.

When young women shake your hand, they seem to only want to offer you their fingers from the second knuckle. No palm contact please!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X