• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Uk Doom - How do we prepare for what happens next?"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    You wait until the CSA turn up......
    I heard they're all too busy chasing threaded.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    I'm leaving it all up to you to pay the exhorbitant taxes caused by the current wasted billions ploughed into the VAT cut(12.5 Billion), banks(100 Billion and rising), PFI, public sector pensions, unemployed, incapacity benefit while I go into semi-retirement(in Brazil hopefully) and watch from the sidelines.

Good Luck if Labour get in again !!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    A very interesting post greenergrass. The women maths is quite persuasive.

As an aside, I wonder if they need any help to start having children earlier? I'm of reasonably good stock.
    You wait until the CSA turn up......

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    A very interesting post greenergrass. The women maths is quite persuasive.

As an aside, I wonder if they need any help to start having children earlier? I'm of reasonably good stock.

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Originally posted by Solidec View Post
    I think I may well emigrate at some point in the future unless there is a change in the fundamentals of society and government in this country (not party politics, but the essence of how we are governed)
    There is some good stuff here about how the fundamental way we are governed is destined to fail given the world economic trends, and national self destruction accelerated by Labour

http://www.howitends.co.uk/

Read each and every section, preferably in work time. Yes, you can pick apart certain points, but on the whole it's a superb piece of doom.
    It covers all the usual guff e.g. as well as offshoring of everything to China and India, the fact growth has been an illusion based on debt, and even North sea oil and gas (which got us through the 80s) is running out, blah, blah.

This is from the section on the role of women:
    The apparent solution to the pension crisis is to have more people in the working population. The problem with this argument is that most of the children that are born today will make little or no contribution to the Exchequer. The type of women who has always lived off the State will continue to bear children at the same high rate. It is those who have the inbuilt desire to ensure that their children are well cared for that have restricted their fecundity and it is these children that society needs.

Most of the population take out more than they put in. What the country needs is a lot of intelligent highly motivated people. Unfortunately the economic realities of the last thirty years has seen a dramatic reduction in the number of intelligent motivated people who are available to keep society moving forward. It is a simple matter of biology. An intelligent educated woman today will tend to have her children in her mid 30's and will usually have one or at the most two children. Assuming that her children behave in the same way then her genes will be passed on three times in a century. In other words her genes will pass into 2 x 2 x 2 or 8 offspring. A less gifted woman will have say four children and start bearing before the age of twenty. In a century her genes will be passed on 4 x 4 x 4 x 4 times or 256 times. This gives a ratio of 1:32. Even if this ratio is incorrect and the figure is in fact 1:10 the prognosis for the future is not good. Another serious factor is the number of intelligent educated women who will pass the age of 40 without having children. Never in the history of mankind has so much good genetic material been lost to society. Any biological system that dilutes its gene pool in this way will fail within a few generations. The long-term consequences of having so many intelligent women who are not producing children or who are producing only one or two very late in their lives has yet to be fully considered. The consequence of this has to be very serious. The process has already started to have an impact on the functioning of society which is one of the reasons why the government has established skilled migrant programmes.

This factor also explains some of the inexorable rise in crime. The number of less gifted children is rising every year. Man evolved as a hunter gatherer. The philosophy of such a life style is you find something that you want and you take it. Many of the less able young people in society are reverting to the role of hunter gatherer. They have been told that they will have a good life with easy access to consumer goods. They will not be able to legitimately access sufficient money to purchase these goods. They have no other way to obtain them other than to steal. Even though this current recession has only just started the number of burglaries is already rising. As the economy winds down over the next thirty years so the level of crime will rise. Living in a country that is in decline will not be pleasant for the young and there will be considerable resentment as they are forced to remain in a juvenile form. Although it has not been spelt out to them most young people know that they have no real future and that many of the opportunities that their parents had will not be available to them.
    To counter the increase of the chav non-working underclass you could mention that numbers of graduates has been increased in the last decade but
    a) most of the degrees are completely worthless and useless
    b) there aren't enough jobs for the graduates anyway, so all they have done is defer showing up on the unemployment figures and manage to get into a load of debt for themselves.

Good blog here as well
    http://cynicuseconomicus.blogspot.co...l-of-west.html

As for what to do, it seems obvious if you want to stay in Britain then your goal should be to own a place in the countryside free and clear of debt with a bit of land and not in close proximity to any cities, or places with large council estates.
    Eventually the police will only be able to control certain areas, and other areas will end up like the scenes of Bexhill-on-Sea in Children of Men (e.g. even worse than Barking is now).

Right up until that point a Labour government would be more worried about diversity training or solving the Third World debt problems, or funding the Indian space programme while our own national debt will dwarf anyone apart from the USA.

Of course all of the above might not happen, Margaret Beckett thinks houses are going to start going up again next year and everything will be just fine and dandy.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Will you STOP THAT please? I am 57 years old. Can't immigrate once you turn 56
    Ooh, ta. Didn't know that. Still an open option here then

Just, and if I get my skates on...
    Last edited by Sysman; 17 January 2009, 14:05.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
    [IMMIGRATION MODE] Have you considered New Zealand? Same size as the UK but only 4m people, lakes, beaches, mountains, abundant wild life to catch or shoot, scenery, good weather. A progressive IT industry.

And its cheap - median house price in NZ is about 100k sterling, even a mansion in Auckland is only about 300k pounds.

Plus once you have a passport you can also work/live in Australia, or just nip back to the UK for a few months, work there, then pop back here and chillax for the rest of the year on your sterling (30k sterling pa would be a VERY nice income in NZ).

AND we speak English, actually quite like English people, have european beers (still about 2 quid for a pint).

And ultimate bonus - a rugby team that actually wins most of the time (World Cups excluded).

[/IMMIGRATION MODE]
    Will you STOP THAT please? I am 57 years old. Can't immigrate once you turn 56

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    [IMMIGRATION MODE] Have you considered New Zealand? Same size as the UK but only 4m people, lakes, beaches, mountains, abundant wild life to catch or shoot, scenery, good weather. A progressive IT industry.

And its cheap - median house price in NZ is about 100k sterling, even a mansion in Auckland is only about 300k pounds.

Plus once you have a passport you can also work/live in Australia, or just nip back to the UK for a few months, work there, then pop back here and chillax for the rest of the year on your sterling (30k sterling pa would be a VERY nice income in NZ).

AND we speak English, actually quite like English people, have european beers (still about 2 quid for a pint).

And ultimate bonus - a rugby team that actually wins most of the time (World Cups excluded).

[/IMMIGRATION MODE]
    But on the downside you have to live near Tay

<shudders>

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

[/IMMIGRATION MODE]
    Sounds great, why not keep it to yourself

How long have you been out there? Where do you consider is the best part of it to live?

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Originally posted by Solidec View Post
    I think I may well emigrate at some point in the future unless there is a change in the fundamentals of society and government in this country (not party politics, but the essence of how we are governed)

Problem is I am nto sure where I woudl want to settle and bring up a family. Idealiistically I would say Italy, but their economy is (pre crisis) worse than ours.

Germany is a good option but I dont like the language.

Maybe Japan!

[/IMMIGRATION MODE]

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    If there are pheasants in your local woodland, you might entice them into your garden by taking a walk in the evenings and leaving a trail of chicken feed to your princely estate. It doesn’t work in one go, but after a while you’ll wake up in the morning to see a nice plump pheasant pecking around on the lawn. It isn’t technically poaching, seeing as the animal strayed onto your land.

If you live in the country, wood pigeons can be quite tasty, especially if you have the equipment for smoking pigeon breast.
    At my little country pile the biggest problem with the local wild pheasants is running over all the bastards in your car - they are big enough to do some damage.

As for wood pidgeons, its a toss-up over which are more populous, them or the rabbits.

And *everyone* has a smoker, usually an old fridge converted for the purpose. What else do you smoke all the kawhai in?

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Indeed, and British seasonal veg at it’s best is as good as any in the world. British grass fed Hereford beef is simply unbeatable, but unfortunately almost unavailable in continental Europe since ignorant people got confused about BSE, which never affected grass fed beef herds.

English wines are now reaching high standards, British farmhouse cheeses are fantastic and British game is perhaps the best in the world, because it’s well managed.
    *ahem* no supermarket veges are as good as those grown in your own HUGE back garden (the std NZ quarter acre). I've had british beef and sorry no comparison to NZ beef (and cows) fed on nothing but green clover (no antibiotics, no ground up offal, no hormones).

NZ wines are consistently world-class (and usually theres a vineyard or 10 nearby). OK you might win on the cheese and game, but even thats debateable.

Furthermore its pretty easy to go catch a meal off nearly all the coastline in NZ (snapper and kawhai beat cod any day, with a side order of freshly caught scollops), and if you haven't tried bacon and pork from a wild boar freshly shot you are really missing out. Oh and wild venison, real free range eggs, green-lipped mussels (the big ones), non-frozen NZ lamb etc etc etc

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    They're going for expansion, now?
    Time to sell Waitrose shares I think.
    Good luck! Because they are part of the John Lewis partnership, i.e. not open to private shareholdings

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    The more the merrier. Can you tie a noose? Chequers is not far from me.
    And no self respecting mob would be complete without tar and feathers. Definitely suitable for an ex-neighbour who was an active member of his local Labour party.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    It probably isn’t. Italy has been broke on paper for the last hundred years or so, but Italians seem to stumble on in their usual happy go lucky fashion. That’s the problem; they don’t get round to reforming their economy because lunch is too good to waste time on stuff like that.
    I like that philosophy. Bonus - the women are stunning too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X