• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "mental note:dont leave your laptop in a restaurant"

Collapse

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
    Don't you love that standard letter they stand out - does'nt matter if you're mugged or have your car tyres slashed - it is the same letter......

Yonks ago, again in uxbridge somebody damaged my car when they left a pub (pissed). Somebody called the police using a 999 call - they thought a fight was about to kick off also. Uxbridge police prompty lost all record of this and suggested that I go to see my witness and generate a statement. I asked the girl on the desk if she'd like to do my job while I'm at this guys house doing hers but she didn't bite. A few weeks later I got a standard letter saying something along the lines that it is almost impossible to catch somebody when they leave the scene of the acident. I wrote back saying that things are made somewhat easier if the police actually keep the reg details when called in but I didn't get a response to that either.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    had a wilmslowesque day yesterday..

-left my laptop on the bus (friend refused to get a cab) on the way back from town
    -collected laptop from bus depot on the way back into town to celebrate new contract signing
    -left laptop in restaurant
    -realised my idiocy this morning, called restaurant, nothing handed in, called insurance

on the plus side, i've just gone and bought a new Dell Precision M4400 Extreme edition, delivered tomorrow

before you ask, no there was nothing sensitive stored on the laptop, yes i have a full backup on an external HD..

I travel a lot always chain the bag to the chair if I am eating or but the bag down at an airport. (Same for the overnight case.) My bags now have a proximity alarm in them so if the bag moves more that a couple of metres away from me an alarm sounds.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I think he got mugged on Canal streat
    you missed the second bit

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I would like to point out in the defence of the Police that when I was robbed at knifepoint in London a few years back, they not only gave me a crime number but also offered me counselling from victim support.

So let it never be said that they do nothing.
    Don't you love that standard letter they stand out - does'nt matter if you're mugged or have your car tyres slashed - it is the same letter......

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I would like to point out in the defence of the Police that when I was robbed at knifepoint in London a few years back, they not only gave me a crime number but also offered me counselling from victim support.

A friend had a problem like that, near Boleyns, the mugger said something about wanting to tax them, but they were having none of that, so took the knife off them and stabbed him through the heart with it. The Police had them notices up for nearly a week asking for witnesses to phone them. He didn't bother so didn't get a crime number or any counselling, at all. Do you think he missed out on something?

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by scaramanga View Post
    And that in a nutshell is the problem with law & order in 2009 UK. A friend of mine was held up at knifepoint a few years ago and met with a similar attitude. The guy wasn't caught red handed so there was no chance of catching him. People wonder why we have knife crime in this country.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    " . . . had this been the Archbishop of Canterbury’s son, would I have allowed [the trial] to go on? The answer is no.”
    <cough>
    I knew an Archbishop's daughter once...
    </cough>

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    el rincon de rafa just off deansgate, very good spanish tapas
    The owners get plenty of practice on "lost" laptops

IGMC

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
    Or maybe Chef's "restaurant trip" involved big mac and fries?
    el rincon de rafa just off deansgate, very good spanish tapas

Leave a comment:

• scaramanga
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    The police just gave me the phone number of the person to get a claim ref number as there was nothing they could do.
    And that in a nutshell is the problem with law & order in 2009 UK. A friend of mine was held up at knifepoint a few years ago and met with a similar attitude. The guy wasn't caught red handed so there was no chance of catching him. People wonder why we have knife crime in this country.

Meanwhile it's easy for the police to massage their crime figures by catching people going 81 mph on the M25 because that's what really matters...

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Yes. I love this paragraph.
    Judge James Tabor, QC, told the 35-year-old mother of two that she was “honest, utterly decent and brave” but her “impressive” performance in the witness box could sway the jury unfairly.
    It's only fair that she should keep her "honest, utterly decent and brave" comments to herself.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    Bloody hell. Is this what it's come to? You have to lie a bit more in court?

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    What happened to taking fingerprints and looking for eyewitnesses?
    It got scuppered by the judges.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5512118.ece

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Yes, if they have the safety camera photo.
    What happened to taking fingerprints and looking for eyewitnesses?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Can the police do anything about anything?
    Yes, if they have the safety camera photo.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X