• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Holding on to your savings"

Collapse

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I see your point.

So does that make shares a pretty good haven then, and probably a much better return than cash? Not that I have much money to chuck around.
    I bought quite a few on the sub 4000 plunges and have been waiting for the next one to buy some more but there haven't been any !?!?!?!?

Are they a good haven at these prices ? Who knows !?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I'm thinking high dividend yield shares in defensive stocks, Pharma, food, Utilities. Should give a greater income than savings anyway

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    I'm getting some interest on my savings and if I were in a job, I would put all my savings into paying off my debts. It's expensive for me at the moment. I need a new contract!!!!!
    I'm sure you'll get one when the recession ends in 2 - 5 years time.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    No interest from banks, not yet time to invest in property or the stock market. It's difficult to know what to do.

I suggest the following

1/3 in Gold
    1/3 in Swiss Francs
    1/3 in Sterling/selected shares
    I'm getting some interest on my savings and if I were in a job, I would put all my savings into paying off my debts. It's expensive for me at the moment. I need a new contract!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    They were well down from their highs at FTSE 3700 or whatever it reached. It is quite possible we'll have another panic and we'll go to sub 3700 but with all the banks effectively owned or underwritten by the government it is looking unlikely IMHO ( a shamateur one ).
    I see your point.

So does that make shares a pretty good haven then, and probably a much better return than cash? Not that I have much money to chuck around.

Leave a comment:

• Pickle2
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Thanks. I only have £6.45 in my bank account. what shall I do with that?
    A giant Toblerone left in the wrapper should cover it.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    I don't know about Sterling looking at the latest figures. But why are shares holding up at the moment, with company sales down, and closures every day?
    They were well down from their highs at FTSE 3700 or whatever it reached. It is quite possible we'll have another panic and we'll go to sub 3700 but with all the banks effectively owned or underwritten by the government it is looking unlikely IMHO ( a shamateur one ).

Sterling has already had it's biggest drop in many many moons and when the rival currencies also belong to equally stuffed countries I wouldn't be trading it in for Euros now.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    But why are shares holding up at the moment, with company sales down, and closures every day?
    Because the people who sell them are good at bulltulipting.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    I think you might have missed the bottom in shares and also the best time to get out of sterling !?
    I don't know about Sterling looking at the latest figures. But why are shares holding up at the moment, with company sales down, and closures every day?

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    No interest from banks, not yet time to invest in property or the stock market. It's difficult to know what to do.

I suggest the following

1/3 in Gold
    1/3 in Swiss Francs
    1/3 in Sterling/selected shares
    I think you might have missed the bottom in shares and also the best time to get out of sterling !?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Seems pretty reasonable tactic to me.

I would be tempted by oil too. .
    Too risky, Still relatively expensive if you look at the long term price

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    What about beans? They should be a relatively safe way to hold onto savings, if not necessarily turn a profit. You can even eat them.
    Honestly? Magic beans would probably be a better option than following sasguru's advice.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Thanks. I only have £6.45 in my bank account. what shall I do with that?
    Buy this? ... you'll have enough left over for a big mac.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    What about beans? They should be a relatively safe way to hold onto savings, if not necessarily turn a profit. You can even eat them.
    And the world's corporations pay very good salaries to people who count them.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X