• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How full is the bench?"

Collapse

• ruethewhirl
    replied
    Been looking for two days now. Half a dozen calls from agents, none of them anything to do for what I applied for.

And yes.

All lo-paid permie stuff I wouldn't touch with yours.

Leave a comment:

• FrogMuncher
    replied
    Benched. What's going on.

Where have all the contract jobs gone? I keep receiving phone calls for low paid (and I mean low) permie jobs. 30K doesn't really feel a far market rate. Come off it. It's not funny now.

Agents are either up beat or "the end is nigh". My 9+ years of J2EE experience seems to be getting be plenty of phishing calls with the odd real call for a perm role. Only had around 2 calls for contracts.

Pllllllllleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeeeeeee e save me I'm looking at the permie roles......

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I got my gig back : management came to their senses and realized how much s**t would ensue if I left.

Fortunately I don't think that will be happening to me. I've been working on a non-project which has been like car crash telly for the last 2 months and is unlikely to complete despite the management scattering scraps of work and vague deadlines around.

Very glad to be out of it. Need a week off first to get it out of my system.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    I got my gig back : management came to their senses and realized how much s**t would ensue if I left.
    Bravo!

It was the users who saved me : maybe I should not be so horrid to them now?
    Don't go too far!

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Thanks for that compliment PMJ - and the advice from the Buddah isnt mystical or nebulous - its very practical and it does work.

Dont forget it costs nothing to smile.

Feeling upbeat is Key.

The Buddha taught - as you think - you become.

So if you think things are gonna screw up - guess what happens ?

Good Luck whatever you do !
    Post of the day - brilliant advice
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 23 January 2009, 10:55.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Shift up a bit.... How is everyone?

It was the users who saved me : maybe I should not be so horrid to them now?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    A bit better ! It has took me until 10:30 to work my way thru Jobserve and send off a few applications. Last week there was no job ads and I was twiddling my thumbs by 9am !!!
    cracking open a pot noodle

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    A bit better ! It has took me until 10:30 to work my way thru Jobserve and send off a few applications. Last week there was no job ads and I was twiddling my thumbs by 9am !!!

Leave a comment:

• BallisticJack
    replied
    Room for another?

Although I'm not sure I'll be welcome given the fact that I don't think you qualify for the bench if you're seeking your first contract.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    Agreed. If you are optimistic you always land on your feet. And you look a lot more employable than all the other depressed desperate-looking candidates...

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    I'm part way thru a year gig thats been extended til end of June. I'm here as Reporting Services, SQL Server BA/Developer role. Despite being on contract client is kindly paying for the MS BI courses, the first of which starts next week (just wondering if I can get way with invoicing for the days I am on the courses, or is that really taking the p*ss too much?)

I've been wrangling myself into position as the clients RS report writer, and they are embarking on a data warehousing project in a few months which only myself and the permy DBA will know anything about, so its looking good at the moment for contract becoming indefinate.

Of course I'm in New Zealand, so thats not so relevent to the Uk situtation. But I monitor it every day as I was planning on returning in July, but at this point in time I'm thinking I might hold out til Feb 2010.

Its not looking very good over there, but I did notice the other day that both Obama and Brown are planning on injecting huge money into IT job creation, as they both think this is the way forward.

p.s. I been contracting in the UK and NZ since 1995, been thru the dot com explosion etc... it will pick up again. My pick is around 3rd quarter this year

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Feeling upbeat is Key.

The Buddha taught - as you think - you become.

So if you think things are gonna screw up - guess what happens ?

Good Luck whatever you do !

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
    Throw yourself off a bridge?
    Troll? Is that you?

Leave a comment:

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied