• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Waste not......?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Waste not......?"

Collapse

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Actualy, I am living in Germany right now so it wont bother me, but the wife said something about watching "billy the kid" tonight.

edit. Sorry, that was "revenge of Billy the Kid"

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    He might not notice if it's a quiet night in in the Gunman household, watching that 10th generation copy of "Goat Shaggers IV".
    Actualy, I am living in Germany right now so it wont bother me, but the wife said something about watching "billy the kid" tonight.

edit. Sorry, that was "revenge of Billy the Kid"
    Last edited by The Lone Gunman; 27 September 2005, 08:47.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by WageSlave
    I'm still picking bits of shrapnel from my backside! Watch out, I'll be on your roof tonight, making goat sounds down the chimney and fiddling with the TV aerial.
    He might not notice if it's a quiet night in in the Gunman household, watching that 10th generation copy of "Goat Shaggers IV".

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    She said she took a pot shot with the blunderbus at what looked like Al Jolsen laying a cable in the garden. She likes the blunderbus, says it makes it a challenge to hit anything. Lucky for slave I would say.
    I'm still picking bits of shrapnel from my backside! Watch out, I'll be on your roof tonight, making goat sounds down the chimney and fiddling with the TV aerial.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Yes, that makes sense.

Spoke to the wife last night couldnt get the gist, then WSs posts sprang to mind and you seem to be confirming.
    She said she took a pot shot with the blunderbus at what looked like Al Jolsen laying a cable in the garden. She likes the blunderbus, says it makes it a challenge to hit anything. Lucky for slave I would say.

Leave a comment:

• voron
    replied
    It must be getting crowded in there, do you see much of Wage Slave, or do you sleep in shifts like the chinese cocklers did up the road?
    Bit crowded, yes. Fortunately he has been spending most of his time in a hydrangea bush (dressed as a black and white minstrel), so it gives me a little time to myself

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by voron
    I know. I simply hate to see public money wasted. I turned down a contract with the NHS back in May; the sight of all those snouts in the trough made me sick.
    Guess that's why I'm living in LG's potting shed
    Look at it this way, you're simply liberating what was your money in the first place. The irony of it is, though, that most clients would think you were a bit crappy if you told them they were running a tight ship and everything was hunky-dory. The real trick is finding out what the person who commissioned the consultancy is looking for you to say (in the private sector, it is often not much more than he/she wants to make redundant some people he/she don't like and blame a consultant for making him/her do it for the good of the company).

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I know. I simply hate to see public money wasted. I turned down a contract with the NHS back in May; the sight of all those snouts in the trough made me sick.
    You sound young, I had the same problem when I were a lad too, I worked on one NHS project a few years ago where it ended up costing 5p per 1k to move data about, and didn't even feel a twinge. So don't you worry you will grow out of it eventually.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    It must be getting crowded in there, do you see much of Wage Slave, or do you sleep in shifts like the chinese cocklers did up the road?

Leave a comment:

• The Late, Great JC
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Gordon Brown stated on Radio Five Live yesterday morning that his government had reduced the number of civil servants by 80,000.
    Yup, that'll be the number that've taken early retirement and a nice fat cheque only to start work doing the same job the following Monday for an external supplier...

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Gordon Brown stated on Radio Five Live yesterday morning that his government had reduced the number of civil servants by 80,000.
    If you read the small print, that is the number reskilled, renamed and redeployed (i.e. not actually called a "civil servant" any more but still employed by the state) or, for a small number, actually made redundant. The number of additional people recruited by the state is more than this (running at about 400 recruitments/day) so the net result is that more people are employed by the state than a year ago.

Still, it makes a good soundbite headline.

Leave a comment:

• voron
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Voron, perhaps you need a client focussed consultant such as myself to accompany you to your next pitch meeting? Don't worry, I'll split the proceeds with you.

Remember, the "right" solution for the client is the one they're not using.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied

Leave a comment:

• voron
    replied
    Originally posted by The Late, Great JC
    How is the Salvation Army soup kitchen?
    Minestrone last night. Tonight I plan to visit the local skip to get some new clothes.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    I think you'll find there is one...
    Voron, perhaps you need a client focussed consultant such as myself to accompany you to your next pitch meeting? Don't worry, I'll split the proceeds with you.

Remember, the "right" solution for the client is the one they're not using.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X