• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Baby Names

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Baby Names"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    St George was a what?

Btw, he was from here... Cappadocia which is now Turkey... FFS!
    Yes, I thought he was a Turk. Not that it matters I suppose.

Back on topic, you don't hear of many Herods about these days, do you. It's a good old bible name. I can imagine introducing a baby as Herod.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Especially when St George was a Geek
    That's right, patron saint of IT contractors!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Especially when St George was a Greek
    St George was a what?

Btw, he was from here... Cappadocia which is now Turkey... FFS!

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    You know what I meant....
    I meant what you know

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Eventually, they will change their name if they don't like it - George Osbourne is really called Gideon but he stopped using it.

Someone I grew up with let their elder children choose the names for the younger children. First couple were OK, but by the time they named the last one "Ottywell" it was going a bit far...
    An ex-girlfriend of mine was one of three sisters.

Their parents had chosen unusual first names for each of them, but also given them a couple of really normal middle names each so that they could choose to be known by those if they wanted.

They all use their unusual first names as adults though.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    You know what I meant....

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    They should, English people should be more proud of their heritage, its such a shame the St George flag is associated with hooligans and chavs.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    A lifetime of "there's no place like home" lines. And she'd never be able to wear red shoes of any kind.

Unless, of course, she took the whole thing quite seriously - bought a dog called Toto, painted the road yellow, only wore gingham dresses, and hung around with three rather strange men with a dressing-up fetish.

Eventually, they will change their name if they don't like it - George Osbourne is really called Gideon but he stopped using it.

Someone I grew up with let their elder children choose the names for the younger children. First couple were OK, but by the time they named the last one "Ottywell" it was going a bit far...
    Hm, good point. She'd be taking the fetish a bit further than me, as my only real leaning is owning a lot of red shoes.

Blimey, brave people. (Nutters)

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I love Dorothy actually, but cos I love Wizard of Oz (yes, I know) I would probably get the p1ss ripped out of me forever.
    A lifetime of "there's no place like home" lines. And she'd never be able to wear red shoes of any kind.

Unless, of course, she took the whole thing quite seriously - bought a dog called Toto, painted the road yellow, only wore gingham dresses, and hung around with three rather strange men with a dressing-up fetish.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    They should, English people should be more proud of their heritage, its such a shame the St George flag is associated with hooligans and chavs.
    WSS

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Have we had Mildred?

Dorothy?
    I love Dorothy actually, but cos I love Wizard of Oz (yes, I know) I would probably get the p1ss ripped out of me forever.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Montgomery
    Scott
    The Judge.
    Seven
    Of
    Nine
    I like "The Judge" as a name. Adds gravitas.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    You perhaps wouldn't have heard of it; it's the Saxon name of an early English king, in fact the first king of Britain. I figure if the Celts are celebrate their heritage by giving their children Gaelic names, the English might do the same.

linky

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Solidec View Post
    Apparently he was the king of Angle-land who went to war against the Picts back in the dark ages
    It's not entirely fair to call those times the 'dark ages'; evidence suggests that Saxon England was quite a civilised place, relatively enlightened in European terms, just as Celtic Ireland was renowned for the learnedness of it's monks and kings. The basis of English law is to be found in Saxon England. The term 'dark ages' perhaps comes from the fact that so little is known about those times, as the Normans pretty much wiped out many traces of Saxon culture. Also, the saxons link England pretty firmly to European culture as they were what we would now call Germans.

Leave a comment:

• Solidec
    replied
    Stanley

Never heard of the other one.
    Apparently he was the king of Angle-land who went to war against the Picts back in the dark ages

Leave a comment:

Working...
X