• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New Year, New Diet!"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Can't swim! Suppose I could learn. Doesn't fat float?
    Whatever happens, you should learn to swim. There's your incentive. Exercise and a new skill.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Try swimming.
    Can't swim! Suppose I could learn. Doesn't fat float?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I'd need to change quite a bit of my life in order to use a gym. I suppose I could join one near work, and go after 8 pm a couple of nights a week. Before dinner, phone call home, and any piece of life for myself like reading a few pages of a book.

Food is problematical because I'm in hotels all week.
    Try swimming.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    Go and have a health check at your doctor's. That was the biggest spur to me to lose weight and take more exercise. My cholesterol was 7 and s/b around five, and my fat index was twice what it should be. I was a heart attack waiting to happen.

Join a gym. The cost is quite expensive and I find that a spur to use it, in order to get my money's worth. Esporta are good because membership gets you free usage of all their other gyms throughout the country(45 approx), which is great if you are travelling around as a contractor. Take up a sport such as tennis, squash or football. I now play 5 a sides with a load of other over 50s every week. We had a game at the Madjeski academy last week, and played on a tour to Athens in November. Great fun!!!

My diet consists of mainly porridge with skimmed milk for breakfast..... no fry-ups !!
    No eggs, plenty of fruit, nuts and vegetables, fish, chicken and turkey.
    No take-aways at all, but I do have the occasional curry at home.
    Beer only at weekends.

Good Luck !!
    I'd need to change quite a bit of my life in order to use a gym. I suppose I could join one near work, and go after 8 pm a couple of nights a week. Before dinner, phone call home, and any piece of life for myself like reading a few pages of a book.

Food is problematical because I'm in hotels all week.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post

My diet consists of mainly porridge with skimmed milk for breakfast..... no fry-ups !!
    Beer only at weekends.

Good Luck !!
    Bloody hell I thought my lifestyle was fairly spartan until I read that.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Go and have a health check at your doctor's. That was the biggest spur to me to lose weight and take more exercise. My cholesterol was 7 and s/b around five, and my fat index was twice what it should be. I was a heart attack waiting to happen.

Join a gym. The cost is quite expensive and I find that a spur to use it, in order to get my money's worth. Esporta are good because membership gets you free usage of all their other gyms throughout the country(45 approx), which is great if you are travelling around as a contractor. Take up a sport such as tennis, squash or football. I now play 5 a sides with a load of other over 50s every week. We had a game at the Madjeski academy last week, and played on a tour to Athens in November. Great fun!!!

Beer only at weekends.

Good Luck !!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Stuff the BMI
    I spent a year flying with them every week last year, and they were tulipe.

Even worse than going with BA through T5.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Stuff the BMI; it’s a load of bollocks if you’re fit.
    It's a reasonable rule of thumb, Bioelectrical resistance is better though, I'm about 15% fat on that. So yeah BMI can be inaccurate, but you can't fudge your fat content

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I concur with the tester. BMI is a load of toss. Apparently I'm obese but I weight train 3 times a week with the resultant gain in weight but reduction in body fat. Probably the fittest I've been since I joined up 20 years ago :-)

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    That's pretty skinny, but for running you need to be don't you. Good Runners always have massive leg muscles but withered and pathetic looking arms.
    At a similar height I've been sub 11 stone once in my life and people kept asking me if I were ill. Currently just within my BMI range at 80kg

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    That's pretty skinny, but for running you need to be don't you. Good Runners always have massive leg muscles but withered and pathetic looking arms.
    At a similar height I've been sub 11 stone once in my life and people kept asking me if I were ill. Currently just within my BMI range at 80kg
    Yeah it is skinny, at the start of December I was down to 10stone 7lbs and people were asking me if I was ill or something wrong yet I was eating loads, but I looked crappy. I've had to rest for couple of weeks to let a knee injury heal, so did weights and drank creatine and went upto 11stone 4lbs, physically its the best I have ever looked as the 11lbs I put on was pretty much all muscle, first time I've had a 6 pack, but as soon as I started running again I lost 6lbs in a week. Anyway by end of May I will be back in full fat mode

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    5ft 11.5inch in height current weight 10stone 12lb, usually around 12stone but in training for marathon and always tend to lose a stone while training, its great at the moment I'm probably eating around 4500 cals a day but don't put on anything but then I am running on average 15k a day 5 x a week

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    It's even better when you're fit, and even better when the wife's fit. Encourage her to do some Pilates; good for the deep abdominal muscles.
    Pelvic floor exercises

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    That was my first thought when Mich said "Do you really not like any kind of exercise?"
    It's even better when you're fit, and even better when the wife's fit. Encourage her to do some Pilates; good for the deep abdominal muscles.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    That will probably use up a few calories in itself.
    That was my first thought when Mich said "Do you really not like any kind of exercise?"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X