• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Like 2001 all over again..."

Collapse

• padinka
    replied
    Bugger

Originally posted by padinka View Post
    http://jobstats.co.uk/
    Strewth!
    Padinka
    I should have made this my first ever 'Oh Dear (tm)' thread. Then again, seeing the way things are going, I'll probably have plenty more opportunities...

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Let's hope companies start to worry about the new 'millenium bug' once interest rates hit 1% this week. Even if rates never hit zero, they need to plan for it.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Bristol? Never a good place to start anything.
    One of the Englands prettiest, healthiest, wealthiest and friendliest cities… there isn’t much competition in this country mind.

Bristol in the top 10 even I'm shocked!

Bristol – Dita Von Teese recently opened a new Harvey Nichols store alongside a Cinema de Lux and a wealth of luxury apartments at Cabot Circus - a long awaited boost to the Broadmead shopping district. Not long after, Bristol’s robust eco-appeal got stronger as it was named the ‘most sustainable city in Britain’. Luxury consumerism and environmental sustainability look set to coexist in 2009.
    Last edited by gingerjedi; 6 January 2009, 23:00.

Leave a comment:

• Solidec
    replied
    I had a terrible 2008, working for only 6 months out of 12, some of which by choice however!

Luckily started a new 3 month gig on Monday which is pretty much down the road.

I will be very relieved to find 6 months of work for 2009, market is hella dead at present!

Hopefully things pick up a bit in April as companies figure out what their balance sheets are like and what their IT budgets will be for new tax year.

2009 is a break even year for me! Pay down all debts.

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    Hope it all works out roots, try jazzing your cv up a bit and look for gigs outside the financial sphere.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Looking at this page it’s not easy to get in but could be quite a nice life;

Eurostar;
    Pay: £45,566 for 35 hour, four day week including Sundays
    You have to live within an hour of St Pancras, have 5 years experience of driving fast trains, and learn French.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
    But do you notice it in the real world?

I've just gone back contracting at potentially the worst time in history - and yet I finished a contract on Friday, started a new one on Monday (on more money) and turned down another one. This was not only the worst time in history, but also the worst time of the year as well.

And I'm just an average jobbing code monkey.

Similar things happened during the last downturn as well, so don't listen to anyone and carry on as normal.
    I think you were lucky and just got through the door as it was closing, cling on for dear life.

I'm about to finish up on Friday but have been looking around since late November and it is deader than dead in my game. I can normally line something up quickly via a contacts ring around but almost without fail the stories are of getting rid of people, budget cuts, projects being scrapped, etc etc Not a sniff yet and I think things are going to get worse before they get better. The one plus is you only need one decent break and a long contract and you are out of the tulip !

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    ... Eurostar;
    Pay: £45,566 for 35 hour, four day week including Sundays
    Talk about cushy! All you need do is prop the dead man's handle on with a plank, and settle down for a nice nap until just before the train pulls into Kings Cross or Paris as the case may be.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    A mate of mine is a train driver, he started as a porter at Temple Meads station in Bristol and worked his way up to ticket collector and then driver, they have an in-house training program that’s free to employees, he done all that in about 5 years and now earns about 36k which isn't too bad considering where he started.
    Bristol? Never a good place to start anything.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    I can’t remember the figure but I heard that Indian train drivers run over a ridiculous number of people every year, not necessarily suicide often just stupid.

This happens in India BTW.
    You're not wrong

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NTBkguuaGWA

(it's a near-miss by the way - no gore to be seen)

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    But do you notice it in the real world?

I've just gone back contracting at potentially the worst time in history - and yet I finished a contract on Friday, started a new one on Monday (on more money) and turned down another one. This was not only the worst time in history, but also the worst time of the year as well.

And I'm just an average jobbing code monkey.

Similar things happened during the last downturn as well, so don't listen to anyone and carry on as normal.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    A mate of mine is a train driver, he started as a porter at Temple Meads station in Bristol and worked his way up to ticket collector and then driver, they have an in-house training program that’s free to employees, he done all that in about 5 years and now earns about 36k which isn't too bad considering where he started.
    did

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    I thought I'd avoid any sillyness.
    Best stay off this site then.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Clarification edit of the year so far
    I thought I'd avoid any sillyness.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I can’t remember the figure but I heard that Indian train drivers run over a ridiculous number of people every year, not necessarily suicide often just stupid.

This happens in India BTW.
    Clarification edit of the year so far

Leave a comment:

Working...
X