• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Looking for work, wife up the duff; should I tell agents?"

Collapse

• pedroPM
    replied
    Ok folks, thanks for responses...I'm convinced. Gonna say nowt unless asked.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by pedroPM View Post
    Just wanted to resurrect this thread to see if anyone else has an opinion on it, there seems to be a few different posters around this month...

I am in the same boat as the OP, except i've been benched for 6 months and to say i'm getting a bit nervous with the little fellas impending arrival and no money coming in would be an understatement. Baby's due end of March and I've got an interview Mon which i'm pretty confident about (ever the optimist).

So what do you say, keep schtum or tell client in interview?
    schtum. What's the worst that can happen? If they terminate at least you've had some dosh coming in. I think they are unlikely to can you though, just work manically before the sprog comes and make it clear your time off will not affect the project timescales.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by djw View Post
    When speaking to agents, I *haven't* mentioned the fact that I'll probably want a week off at the time; I've also had 2 interviews and not mentioned the fact either.

My question is would any of you out there mention this fact during an interview with a client or a chat with an agent? I know a pregnant partner should not influence a job application, but in practise, I firmly believe it would be an "un-said" influence.
    I'm certain you're right. Welcome to a little taste of the unsaid discrimination that women have always faced.

For me, you did the right thing. Especially since you you'll want a "few days" so they don't expect 100% 24/7 etc etc; OK it's 5 days but if they can handle "a few" then they can handle 5, especially if you do your best to make it OK.

Just have an answer ready if someone asks you in March if you didn't already know about this

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Keep stum unless asked. I had a similar scenario with my second, I think I slipped it into conversation at the end of week 1 of the contract. The baby came early in week 2 or 3 of contract and my Mrs had to stay in hospital for a week. I ended up taking over a week off in the end but got away with it and was there for the best part of a year. They've got to be real bar stewards to can you for it ie. the sympathy card talked about earlier

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Why don't you ask Sayara Beg she seems to have first hand experience of these matters.

Just make sure you sell your two small BTL properties first!

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    NN matey !

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Well, apart from telling everyone, is it really that obvious ?

Surely it's impossible to tell on a text-based forum ?

As for real life, I've only met you the once, and I let you do most of the talking
    Thanks very much!

iirc, I spent more time talking with Mrs BGG.

Does it really matter what people assume about each other? Leave people to their blissful ignorance.

On that note I'll bid you good night.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Grandmaster Level 40 Tauren Wizard Churchill posted :No f**king sh!t Sherlock
    Well, apart from telling everyone, is it really that obvious ?

Surely it's impossible to tell on a text-based forum ?

As for real life, I've only met you the once, and I let you do most of the talking

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    A difficult choice indeed.

I'd err on the side of caution and not mention it.

If asked, then be honest ofc.

The reason I advise not mentioning it, is because if it was me interviewing, I'd take it as an subvert emotional blackmail signal.

Some wouldn't, but I'm naturally suspicious/curious of other people's motivations and hidden subtexts.
    No f**king sh!t Sherlock!

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    A difficult choice indeed.

I'd err on the side of caution and not mention it.

If asked, then be honest ofc.

The reason I advise not mentioning it, is because if it was me interviewing, I'd take it as an subvert emotional blackmail signal.

Some wouldn't, but I'm naturally suspicious/curious of other people's motivations and hidden subtexts.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by OP
    Looking for work, wife up the duff; should I tell agents?
    Why, do you think the baby might be theirs?

Leave a comment:

• pedroPM
    replied
    me too!

Just wanted to resurrect this thread to see if anyone else has an opinion on it, there seems to be a few different posters around this month...

I am in the same boat as the OP, except i've been benched for 6 months and to say i'm getting a bit nervous with the little fellas impending arrival and no money coming in would be an understatement. Baby's due end of March and I've got an interview Mon which i'm pretty confident about (ever the optimist).

Leave a comment:

• Ivor Bigun
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    "Are you planning on having kids?" is an excellent way to get yourself sued - even in the current climate.
    Is this still the same for contractors operating through a LTD company?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    As contractors aren't we above that kind of PC tulip?

...Or PC daffodils. Or Lillies!
    daffodils ?

did someone mention daffodils ?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    most clients will be fine with a week off with some notice time, but what if they are not
    Then you lose the contract half way through. Much better than not getting the contract in the first place.

No good can come from telling agents the truth. I might be more inclined to tell the client upfront, but I probably still wouldn't and would wait until I'd established myself in the role. As long as you give them fair warning they can't really complain, and every manager ought to realise that even contractors take time off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X