• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why are you living in the UK?"

Collapse

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by deano View Post
    The question is "where else to go?"

It must be English speaking, because obviously I have no intention of "going native".

It can't be Canada because that is too cold.

I can't be America because I would have to befriend an American and that is beyond the pale.

It can't be Australia because it's full of oafs descended from criminals.

It can't be New Zealand because I quite like the 21st Century.

So it looks like it will have to be good, old blighty.
    It has to be blighty because you'd never find anywhere else a place so democratic and tolerant to make even a person full of bigotry, racism and hatred feel at home.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Originally posted by deano View Post

It must be English speaking, because obviously I have no intention of "going native".

I can't be America because I would have to befriend an American and that is beyond the pale.

So why are you staying the UK which is cold, stuck in the past (and in a grimey tulipe way, not a quaint way), has crumbling infrastructure, and is full of asylum seekers and chavs?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    They'll probably still beat us though
    Could be. We haven't recovered yet from our hubris after winning in 2005.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    And they're cr@p at cricket.
    They'll probably still beat us though

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    In fact, if any other Australian is like my previous team leader, I wouldn't touch Australia with a Rolf Harris musical instrument.
    And they're cr@p at cricket.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Liability View Post
    I see a number of posts saying UK is a failed state and its end of the nation and its doomed and all and just generally not saying anything good or positive in general - in fact any chance to slate it and its happy days.

So question - Why dont these people go to another country than? Why are you still here? If you know so much about this economy and the fact its doomed go elsewhere?
    Because I am a diabetic and can't afford to pay for the medications if I went abroad. Not only that, this is my home and I can get work here. America won't take me, nor will Australia or any other English speaking country. In fact, if any other Australian is like my previous team leader, I wouldn't touch Australia with a Rolf Harris musical instrument.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I see a number of posts saying UK is a failed state and its end of the nation and its doomed and all and just generally not saying anything good or positive in general - in fact any chance to slate it and its happy days.

So question - Why dont these people go to another country than? Why are you still here? If you know so much about this economy and the fact its doomed go elsewhere?
    My kids are subject of a shared residence order so if I go I would have to hide for a year (or be caught by Hague convention).

Else I would go.

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    that is why everyone needs to be sterilised at birth and needs to pass a test before having kids. Its part of the new world order.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Here's a nice chap who makes you proud to be in England...

Leave a comment:

• deano
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    earning twice as much in the UK.
    Yes that's right son, money's not everything, but double is fk of a lot!

Houses are affordable in most areas,
    Houses are rather pricey in areas with high employment. Uk will be a real estate bargain in years to come.

holidays in Germany are quite reasonably priced,
    Can't comment on that one.

going out for a simple but good quality meal doesn’t cost much
    Yes it does! relative to income, eating out isn't cheap, ok relative to income in UK it's better value but its far from cheap here.

and there’s so much space in the countryside.
    Agreed....it's nice

State schools are very good,
    Can't comment

public transport works well,
    Agreed, or at least in Munich it's good

there isn’t the same rampant consumerism
    Sweeping statement that means little

and people just don’t seem to care whether you’re wearing the latest Armani suit or a pair of jeans from the discount store.
    In some areas, such as Munich, I'd say it's the opposite actually and clothes here are flipping pricey.

You won’t be forced by the boss to do silly overtime hours if you don’t want to and nobody will look down on you for choosing to work 9 to 5.
    Agreed to a large extent - don't forget 30 days holiday is far from unusual plus I think an average of 12 public in Bavaria
    I think you need to get out of cloud cuckoo land re prices here. Yes some things are a bit better value, some aren't. It's no bargain I promise you.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by thelace View Post
    Before you give up on the Country, try to get your head around the fact it's a big place with so many culturally diverse regions. It's not all like the Daily Mail portrays. It's not perfect, but then where is.
    WHS - with bells on

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    that will always be the case though. Essex, Basingstoke, Newcastle, and numerous others. Maybe we just get rid of these areas?
    I've been in Newcastle for 10 years, been made redundant twice, never drawn a penny of dole, don't have or want SKY, and have no bling!

While there is unemployment in the region (decimation of all the heavy industries in the region in the 70's and 80's), it's still a lovely place to be. Great quality of life, the North Easterners have a realistic attitude when it comes to work/life balance.

It's a great place to live.

Did two years in the South and that wasn't for me!

Before you give up on the Country, try to get your head around the fact it's a big place with so many culturally diverse regions. It's not all like the Daily Mail portrays. It's not perfect, but then where is.

Leave a comment:

• sappatz
    replied
    Uk

So question - Why dont these people go to another country than?
    you are assuming too much. Not all posters here are living in Uk, and for good reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Couldn't resist showing you this. The scene near my house this morning.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X