• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "'Chav' names feared by teachers"

Collapse

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    And interestingly enough

the page has been pulled on the BBC NEWS site!

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
    I am sure you will remember this

Amani, T-Jay and - the best for last - Lita

Lita!? As in litter? Classy!!!!!
    Ah, great find again Rebecca!!!

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    I am sure you will remember this

Amani, T-Jay and - the best for last - Lita

Lita!? As in litter? Classy!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• G8_Summit
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Why not go the whole hog and call them Slappa, Gyt, or Tossa?

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    So which one are you then Wage?
    ....errr...Not me, Sir, no, no, no. My name is Piers Stanford Oberon Wilberforce III - honest

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Or CorkKnee even?

Leave a comment:

• planetit
    replied
    Do people really name their children Nokia these days?

Courtney
    Cortnee
    Cortnie

What about Caughtknee? or even Courtknee?

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    Nokia
    Good one.

I like the name Mercedes-Chardonnay. Classy, isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    Children with middle-class names such as Katharine and Duncan were up to eight times more likely to pass their GCSEs than Waynes and Dwaines.
    Doesn't this support the teachers' point?

I think there is something depressing about parents who cannot spell the name they have chosen for their offspring (Chelsie? Chelseigh?!?! Kloe, Cortnee, Cortnie, Reece ...). The child has got these abhorances on their birth certificate for life.

Why not go the whole hog and call them Slappa, Gyt, or Tossa?

Still, there but for the grace of God go I.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Adrienne
    Poppy
    Ashley
    Troy
    Bobbi-Jo
    Jean-Marie
    Kloe
    Hollee
    Storm
    Nokia
    Adrienne
    Alanna
    Ashleigh
    Britney
    Candice
    Chantelle
    Chelsie
    Chelseigh
    Chloe
    Cindy
    Courtney
    Cortnee
    Cortnie
    Danielle
    Jade
    Jodie
    Jordan
    Kayleigh
    Keeley
    Keira
    Kimberley
    Kylie
    Leanne
    Leigh
    Lou-Lou
    Mia
    Paige
    Poppy
    Stacey
    Tyler

Ashley
    Chayse
    Conor
    Connor
    Curtis
    Damon
    Declan
    Dillon/Dylan
    Dwayne
    Grant
    Jordan
    Josh
    Kade
    Kane
    Kieron
    Kyle
    Liam
    Mason
    Mitchell
    Myles
    Painton
    Rhys / Reece
    Ryan
    Scott
    Shane
    Troy
    Tyler
    Wayne
    Dwaines
    Duanes
    Jermaines
    Lances

Sounds like a standard pupil sample from a "new" Liebour skool.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by WageSlave
    But there is a difference between having a poofy name (Oi, I objective to that!) and having a Chav name.

And since when did teachers become the bastion of middle-class tradition? Most of them are pretty common.
    So which one are you then Wage?

Ashley - poof
    Josh - poof
    Grant - poof
    Scott - poof

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    But there is a difference between having a poofy name (Oi, I objective to that!) and having a Chav name.

And since when did teachers become the bastion of middle-class tradition? Most of them are pretty common.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Ashley - poof
    Josh - poof
    Grant - poof
    Scott - poof

In contrast, Waynes, Dwaines, Duanes, Jermaines and Lances came bottom
    Ar$e bandits.

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    When did Ashley, Josh, Grant and Scott become chav names?!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    started a topic 'Chav' names feared by teachers

'Chav' names feared by teachers

Went to the TES site in question and had a read. Found a wonderful quote in another thread: "The Labour politicians who promote it send their own kids to private schools, where there is certainly no howling half-wit squealing and rocking in the chair."

Anyways I digress from my thread, before it even starts...

Daily Mail

What's in a name? asked Shakespeare - indicating that it doesn't really matter what you are called.
    But many teachers emphatically disagree - declaring that they can tell from the 'chav' names parents give to their children that they are likely to be little devils at school.

From Adrienne and Poppy, to Ashley and Troy, the contributors to a website for teachers have compiled a list of girls' and boys' names they automatically associate with troublesome behaviour.

The names alone were enough to fill the staff with dread as they read through their new registers at the start of this term.

Teachers also fear names with a hyphen, such as Bobbi-Jo and Jean-Marie. Variants of common names - for example, Kloe and Hollee - inspire similar trepidation.

An online discussion running to 20 web pages started when one teacher wrote on the Times Educational Supplement Internet site: 'I went through my new class list and mentally circled the ones I thought would be difficult. I reckon I have a 75 per cent hit rate.'

The name that 'inspired the most dread' was Paige. Subsequent contributors listed their own most feared appellations - ranging from Storm to Nokia. One scathingly claimed such youngsters are from 'chav' backgrounds.

These are the girls' names that made the teachers blanch - some with comments attached: Adrienne (kiss of death - spiteful, sneaky or both), Alanna, Ashleigh, Britney, Candice, Chantelle (spawn of the devil), Chelsie, Chelseigh, Chloe (nasty, spiteful).

Cindy (always a pain in the a**e) Courtney, Cortnee, Cortnie (trouble), Danielle (a nightmare), Jade, Jodie, Jordan (pretty bad for a girl), Kayleigh (a pain), Keeley, Keira (live in fear), Kimberley, Kylie, Leanne, Leigh, Lou-Lou,

Mia, Paige, Poppy (hyperactive and not very bright), Stacey, Tyler (lesson disrupter).

And these are the boys' names that the teachers most fear: Ashley, Chayse, Conor, Connor (a nightmare), Curtis, Damon, Declan, Dillon/Dylan, Dwayne (a terror), Grant, Jordan, Josh (arrogant, nasty, selfish.

Kade, Kane, Kieron, Kyle (always spells trouble), Liam (always a bad lad), Mason (a horror), Mitchell, Myles, Painton, Rhys / Reece (a nightmare), Ryan, Scott (live in fear), Shane (a terror), Troy, Tyler (lesson disrupter), Wayne (a terror).

But parents failed to see the funny side when news of the blacklist spread to bounty.com - a website designed for mothers.

One contributor branded the teachers 'appalling' and 'sub-standard' for judging pupils by their names, adding: 'If this is what my children will face when they start school, then I might as well home educate.

'I'm sorry, but as teachers you shouldn't be doing this. It's verging on bullying, which teachers are meant to be against.'

One mother even contacted the Department for Education and Skills, declaring: 'I and many other parents are disgusted by the attitudes or the teachers on the forum.

'I realise this is a small number of teachers, but they have taken time out of their day to post these comments and I presume ... they actually mean what they are saying'.

The row follows Government research suggesting pupils' names are linked to differing success rates in exams.

Children with middle-class names such as Katharine and Duncan were up to eight times more likely to pass their GCSEs than Waynes and Dwaines.

Girls called Katharine were found to have gained the best results with Madeleines coming second.

In contrast, Waynes, Dwaines, Duanes, Jermaines and Lances came bottom.

Working...
X