• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Has anyone built a PVR here?"

Collapse

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    I have a Hauppauge PVR 350 in a windows XP box. comes with all the software and you can use the en/decoder on the board for video editing.

Leave a comment:

• Addanc
    replied
    Originally posted by planetit
    No, it's a Humax PVR8000 (or some such name). No problems with it locking up so far. If you're paying £300 you're being ripped off, even if you want a built in DVD recorder.
    Its not just a PVR, its a complete Home Entertainment System (i.e. TV, Games, Music, Internet).

Originally posted by ladymuck
    Mine? No, have to admit that there isn't an ounce of legit s/ware on it, so if you factored that in I probably should have spent an extra £300 on that too.
    Swapped my obsolete legal copy of Win98 for a copy of WinXP. Company need to supply S/W maintenance system with tools that don't run on XP. All other S/W either downloaded free from Internet or came with purchased H/W. Stand alone S/W costs nil.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    Thinking of building a PVR - has anyone done this? What pit falls should I miss?
    Originally posted by The Late, Great JC
    I write software for them for a living...
    Geeks.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Addanc
    Is that one of the Pace boxes with the crappy software that locks-up, the box where you have to recycle the mains to recover it?

Price depends on quality of components. £300 may just be achievable.
    Mine? No, have to admit that there isn't an ounce of legit s/ware on it, so if you factored that in I probably should have spent an extra £300 on that too.

Trying to remember the full spec, DVD +/- R/RW 16x/8x drive, Hauppage card (can't remember which one specifically unfortunately), Nvidia Geforce 4 graphics, Athlon XP 3200+, 120GB drive, 1GB crucial ram, Abit AN7 Max-2 mobo, I think! Oh and a wireless card coz the servers and switch are upstairs and I don't want my house riddled with cat5 all over the place.
    Last edited by ladymuck; 22 September 2005, 15:08.

Leave a comment:

• planetit
    replied
    Originally posted by Addanc
    Is that one of the Pace boxes with the crappy software that locks-up, the box where you have to recycle the mains to recover it?

No, it's a Humax PVR8000 (or some such name). No problems with it locking up so far. If you're paying £300 you're being ripped off, even if you want a built in DVD recorder.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I'm only on property no2, but was quite pleased to walk away with £55k when I sold no1. Nothing like a property boom to line the pockets! I'm only up £15k on my current one at the moment due to the downturn but that'll change, I can be patient!

Leave a comment:

• Addanc
    replied
    Originally posted by planetit
    How much is all that going to cost? Bearing in mind you can by a nice shiny freeview PVR for about 130 quid.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Yes I did struggle to buy my 4th property, but when you only pay cash, current prices can be a bit hard on the wallet.

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    You live with yer mum?
    Well how many of you poor contractors can actually afford to get on the housing ladder anymore?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    You live with yer mum?
    Good god, no! I live on my own (with the cat) in a nice 3-bed house with burnt out cars and gypsies in the front garden.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    You live with yer mum?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I did something similar a while ago, cost around £300 in total (not including the TV!). I actually use Sky+ for day to day stuff and only record down to the PC if there's anything I intend to copy onto DVD (usually two weeks worth of Eastenders when my mum goes on holiday).

Leave a comment:

• planetit
    replied
    How much is all that going to cost? Bearing in mind you can by a nice shiny freeview PVR for about 130 quid.

Leave a comment:

• Addanc
    replied
    Here is one I made earlier

PC box: MicroATX form factor motherboard since bigger choice of desktop cases that will fit under TV. Worth investing in QUIET fans.
    >80GByte disk so that you can record loads of programs you will never watch. Wireless keyboard/mouse. Windows XP.

Digital TV adaptor: Hauppauge nova-t (PCI version).

WinDVD: for DVDs.

TV: LG 26LZ50, since it has DVI-analogue input (analogue adaptors available for VGA), otherwise you will have to invest in Video card with S-Video output (not as good and certainly no good for playing games).

Add a wireless PCI card and you can browse the Internet through your neigbours braodband connection.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by The Late, Great JC
    What are you going to use for the front-end? A PVR card, A standard TV card, or some sort of bespoke tuner/demod?
    duno....I was thinking of a TV card, running on WinMedia rather than a unix based solution.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X