• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The contract market"

Collapse

• robbie274
    replied
    Problem is, how are we going to explain a 4 or 5 month gap in the CV? I mean my last gig was Nov, if my next is April/May, then thats a lot of time to be doing nothing productive.

Maybe we could all use each others Ltd's on the CV to fill the gaps and 'make-up' some experience.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by JohannM View Post
    Yeah I would have thought that the contract market will be better than the permie one, since its easier to get a contractor for 3 or 6 months at the moment, but there seem to be more permie jobs around.

Mid April means another two and a half months idle? That's hard to digest
    I know it is. I'm doing some study, and looking in the paper for part time work just to bring some pennies in to try and eek things out.

Leave a comment:

• JohannM
    replied
    Yeah I would have thought that the contract market will be better than the permie one, since its easier to get a contractor for 3 or 6 months at the moment, but there seem to be more permie jobs around.

Mid April means another two and a half months idle? That's hard to digest

Leave a comment:

• robbie274
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    New budgets coming up?
    But they won't come in until April, thats another 2 months on the bench.

I've been out since mid-Nov (Java developer, North West England) and I agree it did pick up mid to late Jan I had a few calls out of the blue, with loads of promise, then... tumble weed. Even the permie job ads have reduced, there was loads before and just after Xmas.

I do hope there is a big wave coming soon, the only way out of this recession and downturn for major companies is to invest a little in their systems/processes. They should be preparing for the next surge in the economy so they can become competitive. I would of thought the contract market is ideal for this, allowing them to bring in expert professionals for 6 to 12 months.

At the end of the day, I just want to work again, bored of ground hog day now!

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    New budgets coming up?
    And quickly being taken away or not approved when they realise they need to watch the pennies for the next while.

Leave a comment:

• JohannM
    replied
    yeah lets hope for some good new budgets

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    There's been the over excitable flurry of the new year and then all those promises have faded to nothing.

To be honest it was to be expected given the current climate.
    New budgets coming up?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    There's been the over excitable flurry of the new year and then all those promises have faded to nothing.

A quick flurry and then nothing moving? That's the current climate all right!

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Things seem quite dead here in Ireland
    Quite slow in London as well. Been on jobserve all year. There was a slight rally the second week in Jan, then most Wednesday afternoons I get three or four calls. Other than that, dead. Dead dead dead. Doom doom doom.

Leave a comment:

• DocP
    replied
    IBench

Well, I've been implementing the System.Bench interface for a whole month now. I got laid off just before Xmas with a few other contractors. They are still looking. But hey with an MCTS in MOSS 2007, the boom times surely beckon?

Leave a comment:

• JohannM
    replied
    hehe

well, its fairly slow but not that slow, am just catching up

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    So was this thread before you revived it! Is the Internet that slow over there?

Leave a comment:

• JohannM
    replied
    Ireland

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
    Also, I'll try and blag for an extra 10% after a verbal acceptance of the gig.

I once managed that, for legitimate reasons. Accepted a gig over the phone, then said I needed a better rate or I was going to pull out due to the high cost of hotels near the client site.

Found a cheap b&b anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X