• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "German business sentiment hits record low in December"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    In fact looking at the FT today - its looking pretty grim for Germany

German business confidence has plunged to its lowest since the early 1980s, highlighting the speed of the country’s industrial collapse.

Thats scary stuff.
    So still having a manufacturing base has done them alot of good.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    In fact looking at the FT today - its looking pretty grim for Germany

German business confidence has plunged to its lowest since the early 1980s, highlighting the speed of the country’s industrial collapse.

Thats scary stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    They're working on that. Or rather Western unions and management of major car companies are working on it for them, for free. Remember Rover, IBM PCs...
    What happened to all those wonderful British brands that died with BL-Rover-AustinMG-Leyland? Like Morris, Triumph, Hillman, Humber, Riley and so on? The Italians are doing a pretty good job of reviving Lancia, ze Germans have done a good job with Skoda, so why can’t Britain do the same with some of these great names?

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    They won't have the brand name......
    They're working on that. Or rather Western unions and management of major car companies are working on it for them, for free. Remember Rover, IBM PCs...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Its because the unemployed receive 70 per cent of their takehome as Unemployment Benefit- so theres very little incentive to find a job - I think this benefit lasts for a year then drops a bit then another year later then you're down to a pitttance.
    East Germany’s still full of people for whom a West German pittance is a life of leisure and luxury.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    According to the Centre for Economic Policy Research to name but one, Germany has the highest skills gap in Europe with over 1 million vacancies it can't fill due to insufficient skills in the labour market (despite having an unemployment rate of over 10%, depending on who's figures you believe).

So please tell us what you base this priceless little gem on?
    PERHAPS ... its because the unemployed receive 70 per cent of their takehome as Unemployment Benefit- so theres very little incentive to find a job - I think this benefit lasts for a year then drops a bit then another year later then you're down to a pitttance.

PS I will offer either Five Pound Notes or Five Euros - cash deal - for last years BMW series flash.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 18 December 2008, 12:49.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    The big difference is that German has a far higher amount of skilled workers with a better work ethic.
    According to the Centre for Economic Policy Research to name but one, Germany has the highest skills gap in Europe with over 1 million vacancies it can't fill due to insufficient skills in the labour market (despite having an unemployment rate of over 10%, depending on who's figures you believe).

So please tell us what you base this priceless little gem on?

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    The big difference is that German has a far higher amount of skilled workers with a better work ethic.

You all sit here and moan about the state of the nation but then turn over 800 posts a day on TPD.
    Didn't you go to contractor school? That's what you're meant to do!!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

You all sit here and moan about the state of the nation but then turn over 800 posts a day on TPD.
    But we're cleverer than the Germans.
    That's why there are 10 Bob Shawadiwadis working for me, so I can let you have the benefit of my wit, intellect and wisdom.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    that is what I like about Germans and Germany: they're not cheap and they're not superficial.
    No but they're inflexible and unwieldy.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Quite. That's why Siemens (and others) who make Wind Turbines, Solar Panels have order book filled up for many years in advance

I'd say so long as Germany is not run by greedy, short-term barstewards who would sell their country on the cheap (ie like you) then it will deal with the problems just fine.

I am just hoping they would buy railways in this country and finally get here affordable fast trains that run on time.
    that is what I like about Germans and Germany: they're not cheap and they're not superficial.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    So you mean that you would feel like a Pr1ck if you were in a Zil?
    Yes - word "member" in Russian is the same as that

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    When the oil runs out, Germany is fooked then. We will have had experience in developing the first post-industrial economy, they won't know what to do.
    Quite. That's why Siemens (and others) who make Wind Turbines, Solar Panels have order book filled up for many years in advance

I'd say so long as Germany is not run by greedy, short-term barstewards who would sell their country on the cheap (ie like you) then it will deal with the problems just fine.

I am just hoping they would buy railways in this country and finally get here affordable fast trains that run on time.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    When the oil runs out, Germany is fooked then. We will have had experience in developing the first post-industrial economy, they won't know what to do.

Hth.
    I remember exactly that being said in the 1970s.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X