• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The end of the word "expertise" as we knew it"

Collapse

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Hey who's moaning?
    Sorry that I earn more than you for doing less
    I'll let you believe the first option. On the second one, I definitely give you the victory.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    That still doesn't explain why I am doing the same job for 15 years (in different roles, different technologies, sometimes less technical, other times more technical) while a "guru" like yourself had to stop after only a few years.

Oh yeah... career progression.... well the lobotomy on your brain did not have much impact since that's probably dead a long time ago already.
    Hey who's moaning?
    Sorry that I earn more than you for doing less

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I should have thought that the production of expensive slow-starting mediaeval-dim toxic-waste "energy-saving" light bulbs would be doing well thanks to government compulsion
    Well no, because everyone's already got them and they last for years. By the way, these days they're nothing like as slow starting; they've improved a lot. LED lighting can be quite good too.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    No it isn't. Sales of electric hair trimmers have shot up here in NL as men save money on going to the barber; it's the only Philips factory that hasn't cut back production.
    I should have thought that the production of expensive slow-starting mediaeval-dim toxic-waste "energy-saving" light bulbs would be doing well thanks to government compulsion

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    I'd like to see my hairdressers go overseas.

Open a hair salon, it's recession and offshore proof.
    No it isn't. Sales of electric hair trimmers have shot up here in NL as men save money on going to the barber; it's the only Philips factory that hasn't cut back production.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    I wish my hair was recession proof.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Welcome to Europe, the nation of hairdressers.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by themistry View Post
    Protectionism is the quickest and more eficient way to destroy an economy... even though it seems to make sense.

What harm can it do if the economy is already at death's door?

It's not like we export much, so who cares if those we tax from outside the eurozone start crying. Just don't tax the stuff we don't already have in enough quantities, such as oil.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Let's take assguru for serious only once. Ok, plenty of skilled people somewhere in a cheaper part of the world. IT jobs are going there, manufacturing jobs, finance jobs are going there, manufacturing jobs are going there, research is shifting there too... what's next? army jobs to be outsourced?

What can we actually do in 10-15 years time? Exercise strategy on something nobody has any expertise of??? Hoping that we can get money on copyrights forever?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    And as much less people are getting degrees in technical subjects I do wonder what the future will be in 10-20 years time.
    Strictly speaking that should be 'many fewer people'. It's a good job there are still some people with a well rounded education to write important project documents.

Leave a comment:

• sappatz
    replied
    Curry shops

UK IT expertise is now in Bombay curry shops
    What do you expect. When you need it support you get to call an obscure indian telephone number !

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Plans to tax anything imported from outside the eurozone will soon sort it all out. From cheapo chinese products to outsourced jobs.

Then it would be more cost effective to keep it all closer to home, and where there's people earning, there's people paying taxes.
    Protectionism is the quickest and more eficient way to destroy an economy... even though it seems to make sense.

TM

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Plans to tax anything imported from outside the eurozone will soon sort it all out. From cheapo chinese products to outsourced jobs.

Then it would be more cost effective to keep it all closer to home, and where there's people earning, there's people paying taxes.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Remember Francko, your mediocre skills don't count as expertise, especially when Mr. Bob Shawadiwadi can do the needful with much cheapness and plenty quickness.
    Let's take assguru for serious only once. Ok, plenty of skilled people somewhere in a cheaper part of the world. IT jobs are going there, manufacturing jobs, finance jobs are going there, manufacturing jobs are going there, research is shifting there too... what's next? army jobs to be outsourced?

What can we actually do in 10-15 years time? Exercise strategy on something nobody has any expertise of??? Hoping that we can get money on copyrights forever?

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Remember Francko, your mediocre skills don't count as expertise, especially when Mr. Bob Shawadiwadi can do the needful with much cheapness and plenty quickness.
    That still doesn't explain why I am doing the same job for 15 years (in different roles, different technologies, sometimes less technical, other times more technical) while a "guru" like yourself had to stop after only a few years.

Oh yeah... career progression.... well the lobotomy on your brain did not have much impact since that's probably dead a long time ago already.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X