• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The hedge fund industry"

Collapse

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Caveat Emptor.

Serves tham all right - its like nobody forces you to buy into slush fun investments, houses, fiver a day contracts etc - right ?

So if you get wide boys who make a lotta wonga cos them punters are not doing the old caveating emptoring then whats the problem with that ?

It just bizzinzz - innit.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 17 December 2008, 09:36.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Thing is, stuff like this isn't so shocking any more.

When you think about it, how the whole fiat financial system works isn't too dissimilar. Banks lend at interest, which must be paid back using yet more created money.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Will I be attacked by a pack of squirrels next week then?
    It depends on your behavior for the rest of the week.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    sassy asked me for specific prediction some weeks ago, so I told him he won't be working in the city by the end of 2009. I am standing by it - don't ask me how and when you will die, I predict that you won't like the answer.
    Will I be attacked by a pack of squirrels next week then?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    He makes so many and only remembers the few that come true.
    sassy asked me for specific prediction some weeks ago, so I told him he won't be working in the city by the end of 2009. I am standing by it - don't ask me how and when you will die, I predict that you won't like the answer.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by thelace View Post
    Tremont’s Rye Investment Management unit had $3.1 billion, virtually all the money the group managed, allocated to Madoff, said the person, who declined to be identified because the information is private.

So what exactly were these ****ers doing for their cut?
    They were giving credibility to this scam, in effect they were a "broker".

What suprises me is that they invested the whole lot, certainly an interesting approach to risk management. Putting $3 bln into something and not doing proper due diligence, crazy stuff really - that scammer's firm had been "audited" by 3 employee unknown "audit" firm, and nobody asked questions why he produced such consistent 10-12% pa income despite recessions etc.

Then again no, I am not suprised: essentially hedge funds are unregulated banks, an easy way to bypass regulation and engage in all sort of risky stuff. Much like PFI scam this was designed to be kept off books.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    now open up and say "aaaaaaahhhhhh"
    Tricky when you're bent over the kitchen table ..

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    AtW's a clever cookie, if you'd only but look at it.
    Not so clever he can figure out basic social skills
    Last edited by DiscoStu; 16 December 2008, 19:21.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    I thought we were already on our knees?
    now open up and say "aaaaaaahhhhhh"

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    As they say, it's only when the tide goes out you can see who's been swimming naked.
    I don't think "they" said that at all, you just made it up!

Let's run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes it.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    With our knickers round our ankles. Or maybe that's just Anthea.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by thelace View Post
    Tremont’s Rye Investment Management unit had $3.1 billion, virtually all the money the group managed, allocated to Madoff, said the person, who declined to be identified because the information is private.

So what exactly were these ****ers doing for their cut?

Trouble is, in this day and age, this could bring us all to our knees.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    It's ALL lies. All of it.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    The biggest clue was in his name.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    As they say, it's only when the tide goes out you can see who's been swimming naked.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X