• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why is gold so valuable?"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Only if a bald war criminal in a wig shoots you with them...

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    You can make diamonds... you can't make gold...
    But I've heard that diamonds can be very dangerous.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    my brother used to work in a jewellers, every year or so they would take the overalls and throw them into the smelter. The tiny amount of gold that came out of a set of old overalls was enough to buy a new set.

One of his most important jobs was to sweep the floor. The sweepings were sifted for tiny fragments of diamond, which were sold on as industrial stock.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Gold is valuable because of the (un) trustworthiness of governments.

If you could trust a government not to de-base the currency and not print loads of money, then there would be no need for gold.

Unfortunately, in the history of fiat money that has never, ever happened.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    If I offer you 30p for a £1 does that make a £1 worth 30p?
    Is it one 30p coin baggy?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    however it is reliable so people invest in it as an alternative to cash or shares.
    It is thought to be reliable alternative - or assumed even, just like with the houses.

Unless there is serious inflation nothing beats cash in terms of reliability (so long as banks don't go bust with your money).

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Ah, but here's the trick. I offer 31p.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    : "an asset is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it".

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    No, it makes it very bad currency because people will hog gold coins. There is simply not enough gold int he world to satisfy cash requirements of modern economy.
    I didn't suggest that it should be used as currency, however it is reliable so people invest in it as an alternative to cash or shares.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    which make it a reliable currency.
    No, it makes it very bad currency because people will hog gold coins. There is simply not enough gold int he world to satisfy cash requirements of modern economy.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I think the question was WHY does it hold its value? (Except when Gordon Brown wants to sell it.)

It has a distinctive appearance, it doesn't tarnish, it's heavy, it's rare, and so since the beginning of trading it has been accepted as a standard currency.
    It also can't be forged as there are simple tests to prove its authenticity which make it a reliable currency.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by larry View Post
    Gold holds its value. 200 years ago you could buy a good suit for an ounce of gold. Today you can still just about afford to get a suit for an ounce of gold ($820). 200 hundred years ago a suit was available for a few quid or whatever they priced items like that in those days. If you carried forward that money in pounds now, it would be equivalent to a few quid.
    I think the question was WHY does it hold its value? (Except when Gordon Brown wants to sell it.)

It has a distinctive appearance, it doesn't tarnish, it's heavy, it's rare, and so since the beginning of trading it has been accepted as a standard currency.

Leave a comment:

• larry
    replied
    Gold holds its value. 200 years ago you could buy a good suit for an ounce of gold. Today you can still just about afford to get a suit for an ounce of gold ($820). 200 hundred years ago a suit was available for a few quid or whatever they priced items like that in those days. If you carried forward that money in pounds now, it would be equivalent to a few quid.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Plan B anyone?
    Reclamation of gold and platinum from scrap electronics is already done commercially and has been for several decades.

I did some business with one in West London about 20 years ago, their security was far better than anywhere else I've ever been including military sites.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    That sums up the man/woman relationship pretty well. A bloke just wants a bit of 'company' and a bird will gladly give it if there's enough in it for her.

Whether that be a bacardi breezer, meal ticket, gold to dig, or simply a pussy-whipped slave, women have been exploiting men and their inability to think outside the dick for centuries.
    Hats off to women then. Nature has this way of eradicating those who are too stupid to survive.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X