• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Will the pound be dissolved and will we enter the Euro ?"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    How would we be better off right now?
    Lower inflation for example.

No currency risks with main trade partner (thats priceless when your currency moves up and down by much) - this includes going for holiday abroad.

Less rip off Britain as prices would be much more transparent without conversion costs.

And what exactly gains UK by not being in euro, setting its own rates, meaning it would not be able to lower rates to jack up the house pricing bubble? That would be a good thing. Might as well have Govt setting rates directly, oh wait they did that until recently? Probably do now despite all that "independence" of BoE.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    .. in 10 years it will become clear even to idiots who are currently against euro that it was terrible mistake not to join it when UK could do so on its own conditions.

OK, I'll bite. How would we be better off right now?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    I wonder what AtWat will have to say once the dust has settled and the pound doubles in value when interest rates level off at 7-8% as a result of labour's binge-borrowing....
    Do you seriously think that currency will go up automatically if rates are jacked up?

Conservatives won't have balls to increase rates so much anyway.

Since WW2 (or maybe even WW1) UK has been on downwards spiral, and the closer you get to the end the fast it happens and recovery is less likely - in 10 years it will become clear even to idiots who are currently against euro that it was terrible mistake not to join it when UK could do so on its own conditions.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    You'd have to understand atw psychology. He found pleasure in visualising houseprices falling but yet he had no real gain from this as he wouldn't be able to afford any. He's now finding a lot of pleasure thinking of the pound losing value, although, of course he won't be able to gain anything from this (instead he will just see his little savings shrinking). I just think that he is happy when something or somebody else loses so that he doesn't feel like being the only loser on this planet.
    I thought he was just a bitter commie who wants to reduce to everyone down to his level? Maybe if he changed his attitude SKA might be a success. If you are envious of others it can be hard to be successful : you might feel guilty when you succeed.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Joining the Euro would be tantamount to putting diesel in a petrol car. Having said that, GB has effectively done the same thing with our economy.

Our only hope is a return to good housekeeping, and we have never seen that or will see that under this government.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I think AtW is happiest surrounded by factories, whether they are making money or not. Like a comfort blanket.

And whatever happens to the UK economy, good or bad, he'd be comfortable as long it is the same throughout Europe.
    You'd have to understand atw psychology. He found pleasure in visualising houseprices falling but yet he had no real gain from this as he wouldn't be able to afford any. He's now finding a lot of pleasure thinking of the pound losing value, although, of course he won't be able to gain anything from this (instead he will just see his little savings shrinking). I just think that he is happy when something or somebody else loses so that he doesn't feel like being the only loser on this planet.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    I wonder what AtWat will have to say once the dust has settled and the pound doubles in value when interest rates level off at 7-8% as a result of labour's binge-borrowing....
    I think AtW is happiest surrounded by factories, whether they are making money or not. Like a comfort blanket.

And whatever happens to the UK economy, good or bad, he'd be comfortable as long it is the same throughout Europe.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dinker
    replied
    Lefties are all ex art students, they have a huge chip on their shoulder about being thick and therefore hate science and technology.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I'm wondering what will happen when the French take over some of our electricity supply and build our nuclear power stations. Are our electricity bills going to be priced in Pounds, Francs, Euros or garlic? If not the former, would our bills have been increasing quite rapidly recently?

What a sorry and vulnerable state we have become when we need the French government to supply our energy, and nuclear technology.
    The greens have far too much influence. How many new power stations have there been over last 10 years? We cant rely on Russia for gas/oil imports : they are unstable.

Maggie would have had us building new power stations years ago.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    What a sorry and vulnerable state we have become when we need the French government to supply our energy, and nuclear technology.
    From dodgy's point of view it's great because Britain has got superb "service economy"

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I'm wondering what will happen when the French take over some of our electricity supply and build our nuclear power stations. Are our electricity bills going to be priced in Pounds, Francs, Euros or garlic? If not the former, would our bills have been increasing quite rapidly recently?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    If the Uk is such a mess then why are you here?
    I am here by chance and despite shortcomings of UK I generally accept the package. This does not mean I have no right to say things that are wrong in this country - if you don't like Labour, why won't you fook off to some other country? If you don't do that, then don't tell other people.

You still have not given one good reason why the UK join the Euro
    Generally speaking I tend to avoid wasting time with people whose arguement is "go to another country".

Euro will help harmonise prices and avoid currency risk. It would also make it harder to rip off people in this country.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    If the Uk is such a mess then why are you here? why are you not working in your French or German Utopia? You still have not given one good reason why the UK join the Euro
    I wouldnt be suprised if we joined the euro once the EURGBP hits parity, i.e, 1:1

They may take this step in order to stop the pound sinking below 1 euro.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    So, the birthplace of industrial revolution ended up having only bad manufacturers?

I find such attitude terribly defeatist - the country that refused to sign peace deal with Hitler after disaster in Dunkirk given up on the thing that it created in the first place? Does not compute.

This country destroyed manufacturing with taxes and Labour continued this fine tradition, frankly, after fiasco with North American colony it should have been written down in law that any UK politician that tries to increase taxes should be put into Tower for the amusement for tourists for at least 20 years, only if said politician manages this time and still wants the tax, such tax should be introduced.

Sorry chaps, but the UK well and truly ****ed itself with such policies - Conservatives here as as guilty (probably more actually) as the Nu Liebor, though the latter is successfully finishing it off with high taxation.
    If the Uk is such a mess then why are you here? why are you not working in your French or German Utopia? You still have not given one good reason why the UK join the Euro

Leave a comment:

Working...
X