• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Plan B

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Plan B"

Collapse

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    It’s fast becoming a realistic option as house prices in Tuscany and Umbria are taking a nosedive as all the Brits leave. .
    I find it hard to believe that the Brits make a difference.

Italy is not high on the list of countries that Brits buy into

tim

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Probably some truth in that, its all property and shares as far as we know.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Plan B = Inherit money. Not something we are wishing for (obviously) but we know the missus will likely inherit £10-£15k ish within the next 10-15 yrs.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Plan B = Inherit money. Not something we are wishing for (obviously) but we know the missus will likely inherit £100-£150k ish within the next 10-15 yrs.

Plan C = Oil ETFs, $42/barrel now, a good time to be buying and holding.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Wow! that's the best link I've seen in ages - what a useful website! Brilliant!
    I get SQL errors.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    May I recommend http://www.flightmapping.com/flight-search.asp and the "Flight Maps" button?
    Wow! that's the best link I've seen in ages - what a useful website! Brilliant!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    This looks alright to me.

I could pay cash for that.
    So could I, this week.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Hmmm. For Chianti it was Pisa. Bit of a drive (especially over the strade bianche of those days, probably better now).
    Yes, but a very enjoyable drive on one of these.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Where is the nearest airport with direct flights to the UK?
    Hmmm. For Chianti it was Pisa. Bit of a drive (especially over the strade bianche of those days, probably better now).

May I recommend http://www.flightmapping.com/flight-search.asp and the "Flight Maps" button?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Why on earth would you want to fly to the UK from there? Anyway, Pisa's 120km away.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    The prices went through the roof as merchant winkers and the like all crowded into Tuscany and Umbria. Prices are now divebombing back to levels that the locals can afford with their below European average salaries, their limited savings and their inability to get anything more than a 75% mortgage.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Looks like a place I saw in Panzano in Chianti in the mid-1990s, for just about that price (in pounds of the time). Has it got silly since then and come round again?
    The prices went through the roof as merchant winkers and the like all crowded into Tuscany and Umbria. Prices are now divebombing back to levels that the locals can afford with their below European average salaries, their limited savings and their inability to get anything more than a 75% mortgage.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    This looks alright to me.

I could pay cash for that.
    Looks like a place I saw in Panzano in Chianti in the mid-1990s, for just about that price (in pounds of the time). Has it got silly since then and come round again?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    It’s fast becoming a realistic option as house prices in Tuscany and Umbria are taking a nosedive as all the Brits leave. If you can stay in work, even at a lower rate, and keep your savings intact, there’ll be some real bargains. I should make it clear that I’ve never seen a house as an investment but as a place to live, but at these prices I’m very tempted. Second homes are likely to reach the kind of prices that people can afford with savings instead of silly whacking great mortgages, and if you speak the language sufficiently and you’ve got some skills that you can sell locally (teaching English, fitness instruction, or of course software) it could be time to move to the sun.

Of course, if you're tied up in the UK with no savings, negative equity and a bunch of kids at private school, this won't really be an option.

I call it my 'f**k the rest of you' plan.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Looks nice.

I've also been thinking about getting a place in Italy, but I would have to be near the sea.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X