• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gettin rent deposit back if leaving prematurely ?"

Collapse

• juststarting
    replied
    Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
    Why the bloody hell ask then if that's your attitude?

Let me expand on my answer: I had to help find a new person to move in and cover the landlord's costs, so advertising, credit check on the new tenants, paying the private company that comes out and did the tenancy checks etc.

It set me back a couple of hundred quid, but it was fair cop as he had only expected to have those costs at the end of the contract. The alternative - as stated in the contract I signed - was to pay up the rest of my contract.

What is it about some people that means they have a problem with taking responsibility for their own ******* actions? You read the contract, you signed it, end of story.

Don't ask about it on here and then get arsey when you get several answers that you don't want.

For what it's worth though, it sounds like you got lucky with that previous landlord. Whether you claim you couldn't pay or not, if they had some balls they would simply get a CCJ against you. It sounds like you're not a very good tenant to have if you've done this before.

Sorry did not mean to upset you or anything. Just wanted to know if I can do something about it.

Leave a comment:

• Beefy198
    replied
    Originally posted by juststarting View Post
    The landlord cannot sue for rent for periods after a new tenant has moved in. So if you find someone else to replace you , the landlord must have very good reason to reject them. ( the reference check being ok )

If they do reject them and insist on suing you , later in court it will seem like the landlord is simply bullying and complicating the matter.

I hate that rent contracts are like mobile contracts though. It just makes it soo much difficult for "homeless" contractors.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...term_agreement
    I think you've completely misread the advice on that site - it's all suggestions for coming to an agreement - the landlord doesn't HAVE to agree to them. You are still liable to the fixed term (see 'abandoment')

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Who rents? Just buy a place then let it out when you are finished with it. BOOMED.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    I don't bother with flats when working away. I negotiate a long term payment with a local b&b or hotel to keep a suite to myself.

Flats are a pain in the arse for so many reasons: getting your deposit back, the paperwork, not being able to claim payments against tax etc. etc. etc..

I've found that a 'serviced apartment' type arrangement has tended to work out ways cheaper than renting a flat when you take everything into account.

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    I have lost my deposit before for leaving early but they did not sue. Plus it doesnt make sense. Say I don't have money and cannot keep paying the rent.... anyway I will call the tenant protection agency and ask. Thanks all.
    Being a landlord myself, a typical fee charged by the agency to the landlord for finding, vetting and signing up a tennant usually equates to one months rent £.

So if your tennant had the option to leave whenever they wanted, after 1 months or ten months it would cost a fortune to the landlord.

If you want to move around so much just live in a hotel

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    I will have to pay up ? Sorry but "get out of here".

I have lost my deposit before for leaving early but they did not sue. Plus it doesnt make sense. Say I don't have money and cannot keep paying the rent.... anyway I will call the tenant protection agency and ask. Thanks all.
    Are you javacoder in disguise??

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    London, why ?
    I was wondering where this mythical government body was?

tim

Leave a comment:

• Beefy198
    replied

Why the bloody hell ask then if that's your attitude?

Let me expand on my answer: I had to help find a new person to move in and cover the landlord's costs, so advertising, credit check on the new tenants, paying the private company that comes out and did the tenancy checks etc.

It set me back a couple of hundred quid, but it was fair cop as he had only expected to have those costs at the end of the contract. The alternative - as stated in the contract I signed - was to pay up the rest of my contract.

What is it about some people that means they have a problem with taking responsibility for their own ******* actions? You read the contract, you signed it, end of story.

Don't ask about it on here and then get arsey when you get several answers that you don't want.

For what it's worth though, it sounds like you got lucky with that previous landlord. Whether you claim you couldn't pay or not, if they had some balls they would simply get a CCJ against you. It sounds like you're not a very good tenant to have if you've done this before.

Leave a comment:

• juststarting
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    Which country did you say you were living in?

tim
    London, why ?

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    I will call the tenant protection agency
    Which country did you say you were living in?

tim

Leave a comment:

• juststarting
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I think the last one I had explicity said you were liable for at least until they found a new tenant (or the original term was up), but I'd bet some would try to take you for the rest of the term no matter what.

You shouldn't have signed the contract if you didn't agree to the terms.
    The landlord cannot sue for rent for periods after a new tenant has moved in. So if you find someone else to replace you , the landlord must have very good reason to reject them. ( the reference check being ok )

If they do reject them and insist on suing you , later in court it will seem like the landlord is simply bullying and complicating the matter.

I hate that rent contracts are like mobile contracts though. It just makes it soo much difficult for "homeless" contractors.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...term_agreement
    Last edited by juststarting; 9 December 2008, 18:33.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Sublet at more than you're paying.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I think the last one I had explicity said you were liable for at least until they found a new tenant (or the original term was up), but I'd bet some would try to take you for the rest of the term no matter what.

You shouldn't have signed the contract if you didn't agree to the terms.

Leave a comment:

• juststarting
    replied
    Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
    Having had to get out of a contract due to finding a new job elsewhere a few years ago, I can tell you this:

You'll have to pay up.

Contractually you're done for (unless you do have a break clause)

Leave a comment:

• ookook
    replied
    Surely it depends on what contact details they have for you? If the only contacts details are for the flat you are renting then just do one. They can only track you to the flat and if you paid/pay in cash then theres no bank details either.. We tend to offer 3 months up front instead of going through a credit check etc - landlords are usually happy to take that - then if you need to split you just leave (assuming you've gone through your 3 months first)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X