• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Famine in 2009 ?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Famine in 2009 ?"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    I was sent to the stores as a young apprentice for just such an object. Ended up with a long stand instead.
    We used to send folk for fallopian tubes.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Not to mention a grappling hook that can attach to a gas?
    I was sent to the stores as a young apprentice for just such an object. Ended up with a long stand instead.

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    I don't expect famine to affect me too badly, as I've got a very small appetite.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    That's all very well, but where are we going to borrow the money to buy a rope that goes around the equator 14,600 times and has a breaking strains of 1898x10^25 Kg?

All right, make it a tough garden hose instead of a rope, attach an industrial-size vacuum cleaner to this end, and attach a funnel to the other.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    That's all very well, but where are we going to borrow the money to buy a rope that goes around the equator 14,600 times and has a breaking strains of 1898x10^25 Kg?
    The same place as we borrowed the money to invade two large countries, pay huge numbers of government personel, bail out some badly run banks, build a big database for the NHS and the national ID card and provide Mr Prescott with 2 Jags.

The Bank of Cloud Cuckoo Land.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to fire a grappling hook at it and tug it closer so we could harness all that methane as fuel? People have won Nobel prizes for less.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Wouldn't it be better to fire a grappling hook at it and tug it closer so we could harness all that methane as fuel? People have won Nobel prizes for less.
    Hmmm, that's getting a bit over ambitious and expensive. Remember, budgets are limited by Mr Brown's credit rating. Once he's rescued another bank, built another big databasey thingummyjig and paid out all those public sector pensions, there won't be much more than 50p to pay for the jupiter mission.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Hmmm, this has given me an idea. We could use taxpayers’ money to fire a massive canister of compressed oxygen at jupiter and watch the bang as it hits. No real economic benefit, but it would be laugh and provide a good night’s telly.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    You can find out quite easily by holding a cigarette lighter to your bum and then blowing off. If the flame is blue your fart contains methane. Seeing as not all farts produced by methane farters are methane farts, you'll need to repeat the test a number of times over the course of a few weeks, while sticking to your normal diet, to ascertain whether you are a methane farter. Make your own credit crunch entertainment by inviting some friends around for a methane testing party.
    It would probably be safer to do this in the bath.
    Equipment: Bath, water, cup, splint/matches, gas spectrometer.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Gas giant Jupiter is made of methane and some other gases. It must be one of god's farts. Imagine the noise it made.
    Hmmm, this has given me an idea. We could use taxpayers’ money to fire a massive canister of compressed oxygen at jupiter and watch the bang as it hits. No real economic benefit, but it would be laugh and provide a good night’s telly.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Gas giant Jupiter is made of methane and some other gases. It must be one of god's farts. Imagine the noise it made.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Apparently most of us are not methane producers anyway.
    You can find out quite easily by holding a cigarette lighter to your bum and then blowing off. If the flame is blue your fart contains methane. Seeing as not all farts produced by methane farters are methane farts, you'll need to repeat the test a number of times over the course of a few weeks, while sticking to your normal diet, to ascertain whether you are a methane farter. Make your own credit crunch entertainment by inviting some friends around for a methane testing party.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    It's not so much the methane, it's the hydrogen sulphide...
    Apparently most of us are not methane producers anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Blimey! Where from?
    Leeds.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I don’t know but I once had a vegetarian girlfriend and she could fart for England.
    Blimey! Where from?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X