• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Stansted runway demo"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by wxman View Post
    [I dread to think what the bill would be – but divide 56 (the number of arrests) by:-
    • Airlines loss of revenue
    • The Police Bill
    • Peoples loss of wages / cost of having to rebook flights etc.
    • Damage to Airfield (fence)
    • Cost of the legal proceedings through the courts.
    into

Leave a comment:

• wxman
    replied
    "I'd like to see some of the people inconvenienced by the protesters launch claims for damages due to flight cancellations, delays etc.
    "

I agree - There will be a MASSIVE loss of revenue from this. IMO the lefty do Gooders should be made to pay the entire bill that was a direct result of their own and deliberate actions. They would if it was America!!!

I dread to think what the bill would be – but divide 56 (the number of arrests) by:-
    • Airlines loss of revenue
    • The Police Bill
    • Peoples loss of wages / cost of having to rebook flights etc.
    • Damage to Airfield (fence)
    • Cost of the legal proceedings through the courts.

Rough guess for the above? £3 Millions. So that would be a tad over £50K each!!

I wonder how their own Co2 “beliefs” would stand up after receiving such a bill.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    As I was saying, the government is not being even slightly straight on this issue, claiming to want to cut carbon emmisions on the one hand but telling us we need bigger airports and more flights on the other.

I personally wouldn't miss air travel at all, but I do use it quite a bit. It wouldn't bother me if the government decided to tax aviation fuel and increase taxes on flying like fury, particularly if they put the money raised into the railways and/or a better data network to reduce the need for travel. I quite like the idea that we wouldn't all have to listen to thousands of planes flying over what is, after all, a small island. I think we all know that in reality the government wants us to keep flying and paying taxes for it, so they won't increase tax to a level that will actually put people off.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    3 cheers for the protesters for standing up for what they believe in. About time people stopped taking for granted the fact that you can get up in a giant silver bird and visit wherever the hell you like on the planet while ruining it for less than lunch at Langan's.

Rather more than 3 cheers for the people who did the same in Bangkok to try and help protect their country from its shoddy government. We could do worse than take a leaf out of their book.

Leave a comment:

• backlight
    replied
    Had a colleague trying to get back from Hamburg this morning. Sat on the plane for an hour until they cancelled the flight, then gave me a ring to see if I could book another flight for him before they all booked up. First one available was at 20:00. He lost a days billing. I would not be happy..

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    This "Plane Stupid" group must be very committed. 56 arrests?
    The odd thing is that they had the support of most of the local councils affected by airport expansion.

I bet they don't now!

tim

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    God damn hippies!

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    I'd like to see some of the people inconvenienced by the protesters launch claims for damages due to flight cancellations, delays etc.

It's one thing to parade down the street in an orderely fashion waving placards.

It's quite another to break in to a high security area, endanger the lives of innocents and cause financial misery and grief to strangers.

Yeah they got publicity all right. 100% negative publicity from all the poor souls at the airport who now hate them with a passion.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    plane stupid are tulipheads imho on the other hand the government is no less crap. They claim to want to cut co2 and other emissions but they are dead keen to concrete over as much of UK as they can with airports.
    I agree. But did this protest hurt climate change minister Ed Miliband? Environment minister Benn? Transport minister Hoon? Prime minister Gordon Brown?

No: it hurt Amanda Jeirud going to see her parents in Sweden. Trine Maaetoft and her 2 infant children going on their only trip home this year. Anita Kelleher who had been due to fly to the Irish Republic to attend her father's funeral.

And probably a few contractors going out to work, without which no pay.

Never mind, at least it hurt somebody: result.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Instead of rounding up the terrorists on the runway.

Must have been raining.
    And it was friggin' freezing this morning so can't blame 'em can you. Nice warm airport terminal and a mug of tea, what can be nicer.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    plane stupid are tulipheads imho on the other hand the government is no less crap. They claim to want to cut co2 and other emissions but they are dead keen to concrete over as much of UK as they can with airports.

Leave a comment:

• deano
    replied
    The trouble is, these people know they are going to be arrested. It's part of why they do it so they can get further publicity form the trial, and their fines will be paid for by some anti-capitalist, left-wing organisation.

They should have a minimum 10 year sentence for trespassing on an airfield. That would make some stop and consider before doing it.

Gits.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Instead of rounding up the terrorists on the runway.

Must have been raining.
    I know. You couldn't make it up.

One group of people break in through security fences and occupy a runway.
    Another group of people consists of ordinary people who want to go and see family etc.

Which group gets the armed anti-terrorist police? Anybody still in any doubt?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    This "Plane Stupid" group must be very committed. 56 arrests?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    started a topic Stansted runway demo

Stansted runway demo

... the armed anti-terrorist officers helped BAA staff to marshal the remaining queues into more orderly lines.
    Useful stuff this "anti-terrorism". I expect to see more of it.
    Last edited by expat; 8 December 2008, 14:27.

Working...
X