• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Insuring your car - do you put down business miles as part of quote?"

Collapse

• Beefy198
    replied
    Originally posted by dmini View Post
    For goodness sake, stop being a cheapskate. You want to claim back the mileage - part of that is ensuring you are properly insured.
    And that is of course a very good and valid point.

You want to run your own limited and say you're a company director? Going blue in the face trying to convince everyone that you are a real business? Act like one!

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Some ins co already make provision for business miles. Tesco do for example.

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    WHS
    As for all those who say "how would they find out?" If no one would ever find out you nicked £100 from the sick childrens charity fund, does that make it OK?
    If a tree fell down in a wood, would it fall on a sick child?

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by dmini View Post
    If you don't declare & get caught - it wont just be your insurance payout you wont get. It will also probably mean a criminal conviction, because whenever you are driving on business at least, you are driving without insurance.
    For goodness sake, stop being a cheapskate. You want to claim back the mileage - part of that is ensuring you are properly insured.
    Just flipping do it!!!
    WHS

If you want to claim the mileage, pay the insurance.

As for all those who say "how would they find out?" If no one would ever find out you nicked £100 from the sick childrens charity fund, does that make it OK?

Leave a comment:

• dmini
    replied
    If you don't declare & get caught - it wont just be your insurance payout you wont get. It will also probably mean a criminal conviction, because whenever you are driving on business at least, you are driving without insurance.
    Just flipping do it!!!

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
    Get a new insurer then
    WHS - Only costs ne an extra 20 quid per year - why risk it.

Leave a comment:

• Beefy198
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    When I say a few quid, it puts it up by almost £100.. I've got someone in the family on it who's 17 with a provisional.. I'll make them pay it I think.

Get a new insurer then

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    I don't declare business use. Why bother unless you're travelling to different clients every week, when you should have such insurance. Basically it's irrelevant for most of us.

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Faced with a choice here:-

1. Social & commuting (to a perm place of work).

2. Business miles (for use in connection with a business).

I'm guessing it's #2 technically, but annoyed that the premium goes up a few quid. I guess it seems a bit two faced to claim from the tax man that I travel to a 'temporary place of work', yet on my car insurance try and claim it's my perm place of work.
    When I say a few quid, it puts it up by almost £100.. I've got someone in the family on it who's 17 with a provisional.. I'll make them pay it I think.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by shoes View Post
    They would be welcome to speak to the managing director of the company I work for, I will tell them in that capacity that it was not a business trip.

An insurance company is typically some high turnover employees sitting like battery hens filling in forms, a small unprovable theory that you might have technically been using the car in a business capacity isn't going to be an issue that anyone will bother to care about.

Bend the rules a bit ya wusses.
    I'd rather shell out the extra twenty quid a year it costs me and not worry about it.

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Unless of course the insurer contacts the company you work for and they know how you get in to work every day
    They would be welcome to speak to the managing director of the company I work for, I will tell them in that capacity that it was not a business trip.

An insurance company is typically some high turnover employees sitting like battery hens filling in forms, a small unprovable theory that you might have technically been using the car in a business capacity isn't going to be an issue that anyone will bother to care about.

Bend the rules a bit ya wusses.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    For the minimal cost of what they seem to call "Class 1 Business Use" I think it's money well spent. I think I'm charged about a tenner if that for it.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
    You sound like someone I know who hasn't declared points on their licence, their argument being "what's the chance they'll find out if I claim, it's not like they'll ask to see my licence"

If you have an accident and the police attend there's a high chance they'll mention the reason for your journey on their report as I'm sure most people will wantonly say it just after an accident.
    Not declaring points on your license is completely different. In that case, the insurers can quite easily check your record on the DVLA database.

In the case of specifying business or social, there is no database record anywhere on how you use your car. You could just as well have gone shopping as gone to work.

Unless of course the insurer contacts the company you work for and they know how you get in to work every day

Leave a comment:

• Beefy198
    replied
    You sound like someone I know who hasn't declared points on their licence, their argument being "what's the chance they'll find out if I claim, it's not like they'll ask to see my licence"

If you have an accident and the police attend there's a high chance they'll mention the reason for your journey on their report as I'm sure most people will wantonly say it just after an accident.

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    I guess it seems a bit two faced to claim from the tax man that I travel to a 'temporary place of work', yet on my car insurance try and claim it's my perm place of work.
    Yes but they'll never communicate with one-another.

If you have an accident whilst driving to a client why would you need to tell the insurance company that? If you drove down the same road to the shops on a day you decided not to attend your client site and crashed what difference would that make? And if you did crash presumably you wouldn't be going to your client that day anyway.

A contractor should be slightly dodgy by natural inclination.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X