• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract market in the UK"

Collapse

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Contract extension - Dec 2009

Crises ? What Crises ??

Bigger and Better - thats my motto for 2009.

And for you - Devil take the Hindermost.

There you have it.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 3 December 2008, 12:14.

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    If it was for Barclays Capital, its not counted.

They churn out so many job specs, they are destroying the rainforests
    barcap have a complete freeze on all IT recruitment at the moment

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Contract extension, but -6%.
    I've just got a contract extension, but +6%. You've made me feel guilty now, so I'll send it to you.

Mind you it's not 6% of a lot, going by what people on here say they are earning.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    deader than dead, even the perm market for me is a tad on the slow side

first time i've ever had to actively look, normally someone rings me with the next gig, just before I'm finishing.

Sods law i had to take a few months off before impending financial market doom!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Just to say it wasn't for either of the banks mentioned.

Good luck those of you who are struggling though - it's no fun being on the bench.
    It's my one annoyance about contracting: when you have most time to do something interesting, you're least inclined to spend money.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Just to say it wasn't for either of the banks mentioned.

Good luck those of you who are struggling though - it's no fun being on the bench.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Can't say that I have noticed a big difference, most of the people I know are working.
    You never tend to notice if you are in work ! Some contractors I know missed the dotcom slump altogether because they had a long contract. Believe me it is dead out there and it has happened quite recently and quickly. It may pick up post xmas or post new tax year but I suspect we are in for a tough time !

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Clientco got rid of about 100 contractors on Monday.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Can't say that I have noticed a big difference, most of the people I know are working.

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Tried those via googling yesterday ( except Planetrecruit ). They all have next to nothing on there. Like I say I think the agents in my market have an excess of CVs so why advertise anyway !?
    Agree - one thing that Ive noticed is alot are chasing CVs and updates on situations gearing for work in Jan / Feb - whether that work arrives who the hell knows!

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Liability View Post
    Jobserve, CWjobs, Planetrecruit, Jobsite.
    Tried those via googling yesterday ( except Planetrecruit ). They all have next to nothing on there. Like I say I think the agents in my market have an excess of CVs so why advertise anyway !?

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Deader than dead as far as I can see. It's my first open market job hunt for 3 years, I did the big ring around all my contacts and agencies and sat back waiting for the phone to ring back but not a sniff so far. Jobserve now looks useless, once the agents have a few spare CVs on their books they don't advertise. Does anybody use anything other than Jobserve ?
    Jobserve, CWjobs, Planetrecruit, Jobsite.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Deader than dead as far as I can see. It's my first open market job hunt for 3 years, I did the big ring around all my contacts and agencies and sat back waiting for the phone to ring back but not a sniff so far. Jobserve now looks useless, once the agents have a few spare CVs on their books they don't advertise. Does anybody use anything other than Jobserve ?

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    I'll just spend 6% more time on internet.
    Does that mean 6% more quality or 6% more quantity ?

If you decided to divert the 6% in to more time spent in the traps, what would that equate to in terms of output ?

Would it be an even mix of fluids / solids ?

There must be a formula for this somewhere...

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Contract extension, but -6%. Not really a problem, 94% of something is a lot better than 100% of nothing. I'll just spend 6% more time on internet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X