• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Women and Thermostats"

Collapse

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    How's about the girly who thought that keeping the hot water immersion heater on for 24 hours a day would be cheaper? I think the line of logic there went that "if it's already hot, it doesn't need as much heating when I need a bath".

The first electricity bill sorted that one out for her
    Lots of people do that, and plenty of plumbers recommend it.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    How's about the girly who thought that keeping the hot water immersion heater on for 24 hours a day would be cheaper? I think the line of logic there went that "if it's already hot, it doesn't need as much heating when I need a bath".

The first electricity bill sorted that one out for her

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you guys, but in our house its Mr Pogle, who has the problem with the heating. I make him wear jumpers a lot now. He used to have the heating up to 25 all the time, but I've got him trained now
    - it only took 15 years!!
    It's Hubby who has a problem trying to workout how to get the heater/defroster in my car - realy upsets my auto setting

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    I used to go out with a girl who always boiled the kettle twice 'cos she thought it made the water hotter. At the time I always though "aaah bless her", after we split up I just think "stupid b!tch"
    So this was really your fault for encouraging it then?

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    off topic

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    That is what is called the vestibule.
    From wikipedia...
    http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...e#Architecture

"Architecture
    See: Vestibule (architecture)

a large entrance
    a lobby, entrance hall, or passage between the outer door and the interior of a building
    an enclosed area between two rail cars
    a reception area
    a footstool
    a toilet
    a bar-stool
    an antechamber
    an entry room
    a laundry shoot in an American apartment building
    a passageway acting as an airlock between two environments "

so I vote for 'lobby'!

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Sorry to disappoint you guys, but in our house its Mr Pogle, who has the problem with the heating. I make him wear jumpers a lot now. He used to have the heating up to 25 all the time, but I've got him trained now
    - it only took 15 years!!

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    porch?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    A rhetorical question I am sure - most of the houses (ranging from bungalows to 3 or 4 bed houses) round here have an outer door and an inner door - the space in between is called a lobby right?

There is a palace down the road but I could not afford it!

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Lobby? Where do you live, in a palace?
    A rhetorical question I am sure - most of the houses (ranging from bungalows to 3 or 4 bed houses) round here have an outer door and an inner door - the space in between is called a lobby right?

There is a palace down the road but I could not afford it!

Leave a comment:

• m__rfield
    replied
    Try explaining how TRVs and zones work and watch the meltdown.

Leave a comment:

• PerlOfWisdom
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    I disagree Sir. As you know (), the air get's its temperature from blowing across the heat exchanger (radiator). This is designed to transfer heat from the hot coolant that flows through it to the air blown through it by the fan. Now, if you are blowing freezing cold air over freezing cold coolant, the logic is not hard to see that it's going to take you longer to heat that freezing cold coolant.
    Yes, but having the fan high on uses more electricity, which puts extra load on the alternator, making the engine work harder, thereby warming up quicker.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    and something else they do too....

open the main door and the inside door of the lobby, thus letting out all of the heat from the house and freezing out the ground floor, so having the same effect on the heating as turning up the thermostat, but not around to benefit as they are not in the house!
    Lobby? Where do you live, in a palace?

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by TCL View Post
    Being a bloke, I clearly understand the point about thermostats etc, however, answer me this:

Got in the car on the way home tonight...weather freezing, around zero degrees. Turn the temp on the car to about 22 degrees and hit the "auto" button on the climate control and guess what happened? Yep, fan goes to full speed and blasts freezing cold air into car for first few miles.

So are cars secretly women? Is that why mine is so tempromental once a month?
    I think it's just yours. I'm fairly sure the fan on mine starts at low speed and speeds up as the engine warms up.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    and something else they do too....

open the main door and the inside door of the lobby, thus letting out all of the heat from the house and freezing out the ground floor, so having the same effect on the heating as turning up the thermostat, but not around to benefit as they are not in the house!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    But won't the kettle be designed to turn off at a set TEMPERATURE, not when it detects boiling? I see the O-level and raise you an A grade at A-level...
    Actually, dissolved salts RAISE the bloody temperature! His girlie was wrong; he was right; I am a moron.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X