• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Plan GP

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Plan GP"

Collapse

• beaker
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Knew someone who was an English teacher, he want back to Uni to study law. Next time I saw him was on TV, chief prosecutor in Scotland. Successful career move I'd say.
    Actually a move into IT/security/media law is probably a more logical step for most IT contractors... the hours are just as bad though...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    Any evidence for this statement?

My outstanding knowledge of industry is the evidence.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by M_B View Post
    A friend of mine did exactly this at the age of 36.

He got bored of IT, went to Sheffield University and qualified as a doctor last year. He says its the best decision he ever made and keeps telling me I should do the same.

Blood makes me feel queazy though. As does very hard work.
    Knew someone who was an English teacher, he want back to Uni to study law. Next time I saw him was on TV, chief prosecutor in Scotland. Successful career move I'd say.

Leave a comment:

• kanulondon
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    He went by the name Brandon Lee, that was the fake one. I think he got knocked back for not being good enough so he had to go back and get another set of exam results, he figured it was easiest to go back to school.

Anyway it all sounds nice but spending a few years on 120 hours a week stiching up knife attacks or sticking your fingers up old folks arses kind of puts me off.

Getting a partnership is pretty tough now as well and at that age you would probably only get a salaried post on maybe 80 grand.

I think many of you have been reading too much of the Daily Mail.
    WHS

Ma's a GP she works 10 hrs days (albeit 4 days a week) and she doesn't get much over £80k and she's a partner in a practice.

You need to get real with those figures

Leave a comment:

• M_B
    replied
    A friend of mine did exactly this at the age of 36.

He got bored of IT, went to Sheffield University and qualified as a doctor last year. He says its the best decision he ever made and keeps telling me I should do the same.

Blood makes me feel queazy though. As does very hard work.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Getting a partnership is pretty tough now as well and at that age you would probably only get a salaried post on maybe 80 grand.
    Any evidence for this statement?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    Yeah I remember him, what was his name again?
    He went by the name Brandon Lee, that was the fake one. I think he got knocked back for not being good enough so he had to go back and get another set of exam results, he figured it was easiest to go back to school.

Anyway it all sounds nice but spending a few years on 120 hours a week stiching up knife attacks or sticking your fingers up old folks arses kind of puts me off.

I think many of you have been reading too much of the Daily Mail.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    nurses - mmm

when I first got married, I got my 17yr old missus to dress up as a nurse, now I am married to a nurse and I get her to dress up as a schoolie.

Men eh ? never satisfied are we ?

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    One of the traders here has gone back to uni to study medicine. He's 2 years into it now but he was 28 when he started.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    http://www.dce.harvard.edu/pubs/alum/2005/16.html

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Being serious for a minute, I was a volunteer "patient" at a Graduate Entry Medical School a while back - none of the students was as old as me (and I was 42 then). It is very hard work, very competitive but seems very rewarding (not just financially) - but you really do need a motivation and a vocation for it rather than just a desire for a secure well-paid job.

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    hmmm, on second thought I don't know if I can be bothered... should have thought about this 12 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I accept there might be some oldies. But you'd have to be mad.
    Depends I think 35-36 is latest I would consider doing it. After 40 then it may be pushing it.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    nurses - mmm

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    I've thought about studying medicine, going to be 30 next year so realistically it may be my last chance... I'd only really want to be a GP though, but things gross me out too easily - wouldn't enjoy surgery

Leave a comment:

Working...
X