• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Teenager dismayed at losing job - is there NO NEWS in Devon tonight?"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I know, it’s a bleak image of modern working culture, but the reality is that for too many people, hard work just doesn’t provide any rewards. Or maybe I’ve worked in too many multinationals. Sorry, got bored in too many multinationals.
    I agree, I have an average house with an average mortgage yet my money doesn't seem to go all that far, my family just couldn't live on an 'average' wage.

I don't know how Mr Average does it?? My guess is he doesn’t and that’s why so many of the population are in serious financial trouble.

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    I blame her agent! They probably only sent her to the interview to get her references!!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    I feels orry for her, £1000 is a lot of money to someone of her age, and in this time we need as many young poeple as possible to learn the value of hard work.
    I’m tempted to agree and I certainly sympathize with the girl for her disappointment, but for many people the value of hard work is just about zero. Why would you work hard if you know that the moment your employer has one bad quarter you stand a good chance of being declared ‘surplus to requirements’, your job’s about to be outsourced to India and you get taxed up to your eyeballs on everything you earn to subsidize the bank that lost any money you’ve saved by lending it to unemployed single mothers in Detroit?

I know, it’s a bleak image of modern working culture, but the reality is that for too many people, hard work just doesn’t provide any rewards. Or maybe I’ve worked in too many multinationals. Sorry, got bored in too many multinationals.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Are you from up north?
    No, you don't say.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    I feels orry for her, £1000 is a lot of money to someone of her age, and in this time we need as many young poeple as possible to learn the value of hard work.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Guys, I think the point here is that the girl had been hired and was ready to start and then was told by some jobsworth that she couldn’t start; typical manager behaviour to make the agreement and then break it.... Anyone ever received a call just before starting a contract to hear ‘management have carried out a budget review and as a result have restricted funding for this project such that…bla bla bla manager speak…we won’t be needing your services’?
    Them 'n us, eh? Are you from up north?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Agreed, but who would knock her up?
    I might.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    and lay off the pies.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravello View Post
    A grand is quite a chunk of money for a 16yr old - and at least she's making an effort to go out and earn it rather than getting herself knocked up and blagging off the state.
    Agreed, but who would knock her up?

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
    She could've earned a grand before christmas (BAH)! No wonder she's gutted

A whole £1000.00

She could have also got her hair cut
    A grand is quite a chunk of money for a 16yr old - and at least she's making an effort to go out and earn it rather than getting herself knocked up and blagging off the state.

She should get her hair cut though I agree

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    She won’t be able to afford them now.
    Somehow they can always afford pies.

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    I can hear the violins playing.... poor poor girl (cry sob sob etc...)

Leave a comment:

• stingman123
    replied
    She could've earned a grand before christmas (BAH)! No wonder she's gutted

A whole £1000.00

She could have also got her hair cut

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    she should hold back on the pies
    She won’t be able to afford them now.