• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Food Shortages..WWYD ?"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    What famine scenario are we talking about? The entire UK population alive and a terminal food shortage? If so, growing food and savaging in the woods is a non-starter, what with 60 million others doing the same. You'd be shooting each other. If not, with a smaller population, surviving should be a doddle, we've done it before. Surviving the first few months and years would be trickiest. In that period you'd have to team up with others holding up in a supermarket or some-such and the army and civil police / people with big guns would probably take over these places, and if they share, things could get nasty and drawn-out for all. If they are selfish they will survive.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I'd take the easy option and rob Mich the tester...

Leave a comment:

• deano
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    The snag is the Irish were also taught by the best
    Yeah, but they never really put it into practice did they. In fact they spent more time being invaded than most other countries put together - usually by the English!

It's a bit like when people get degrees in a subject (Harpsichord tuning or whatever), then getting a job in a call centre where they never use the skills they have been tought, as opposed those who study law or medicine, and aftewrwards they become lawyers and doctors.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Surely with the advent of stem cell technology the answer would be to eat yourself ?
    It is now technically feasible to grow a pork chop on your leg, using hybrid porker/you stem cells. These can be grown quite quickly then harvested and cooked when visitors are expected.

Yes, but you still need to feed yourself to grow the pork chopon your leg.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Surely with the advent of stem cell technology the answer would be to eat yourself ?
    It is now technically feasible to grow a pork chop on your leg, using hybrid porker/you stem cells. These can be grown quite quickly then harvested and cooked when visitors are expected.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by deano View Post
    Sorry, I didn't realise that it was only Britain that was hypothetically starving.

The answer in that case is a doddle. Invade Ireland and eat all their food. Then France etc.

We used to be good at invading. We were tought by the best (Vikings and Normans), and I think it's sad to see these old traditions die out.
    The snag is the Irish were also taught by the best

I'd be looking at bagging some Canada geese from Hyde Park, if 100,000 other people hadn't already had the same idea, or growing and eating fat hen which is very nutritious and given half a chance grows like crazy.

Leave a comment:

• deano
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Nope, photosynthesis is inefficient and GM does not change that. Britain cannot feed itself, unless we burn oil to power lights and grow food in 3 dimensions.
    Sorry, I didn't realise that it was only Britain that was hypothetically starving.

The answer in that case is a doddle. Invade Ireland and eat all their food. Then France etc.

We used to be good at invading. We were tought by the best (Vikings and Normans), and I think it's sad to see these old traditions die out.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Buy a huge chunk of Iceland for about 50p and use the natural thermal energy to power huge greenhouses.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by deano View Post
    None of the above. Genetic Modification will prevent this becoming a problem. We can grow as much food as we want. No one on the planet need ever be hungry again. Except of course the over-intellectualising, idealistic Guardianista's use politics to prevent it.

Shame on them.
    Nope, photosynthesis is inefficient and GM does not change that. Britain cannot feed itself, unless we burn oil to power lights and grow food in 3 dimensions.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Well, I have a garden which can quickly be sowed with spuds and other veg, and along with a couple of mates I have the skills to produce a fair bit of food. I can shoot and I live near the woods where there are plenty of rabbits, deer, squirrels and pheasants all waiting to be gobbled up in my household; the rabbits can be shot without a permit and the pheasants are easily attracted into the garden where they’re for me. Wood pigeons are plentiful and quite tasty. The local river is well stocked with trout. My girlfriend’s family are nearly all farmers and she owns a patch of land that’s hired out to a dairy farmer; the rent would not be going down . I’m not scared of starving. In fact, I think if there are massive food shortages, assuming we can defend ourselves, we could probably get quite rich.

Leave a comment:

• deano
    replied
    None of the above. Genetic Modification will prevent this becoming a problem. We can grow as much food as we want. No one on the planet need ever be hungry again. Except of course the over-intellectualising, idealistic Guardianista's use politics to prevent it.

Shame on them.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    I'd kill Andyw and eat him.
    Which should have been an option in the poll!!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Forgot to mention that the poll should not be an either-or. One should not artificially limit ones options in a survival situation. That list would be more a gradation, i.e. scavange in the woods, but if protein was short then family pets, guinea pigs would stay around for quite a while as they make new protein quite regularly for quite little imput, and last to go would be the dogs as they help catch rabbits and hares etc.. but I really doubt it would get that bad unless my position was over-run and my stocks stolen or ruined.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I already get all my mushrooms from the woods, and most vegetables from the garden. Anything I can't grow I don't really need to survive.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    I'd kill Andyw and eat him.
    he's a robot

http://forums.contractoruk.com/members/andyw.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X