• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Sickness

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sickness"

Collapse

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
    The one from Airwolf ?

Rhubarb
    Less of it, does he mock that you worship Mammon?

Leave a comment:

• rhubarb
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    its to do with a certain ArchAngel .
    The one from Airwolf ?

Rhubarb

Leave a comment:

• Beefy198
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    Whooosh
    It didn't go over my head at all - I'm just pointing out that if people are having clauses written into their contracts in order to sit outside of IR35 they should really be practising them too.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Hi,

I have a severe chest infection possibly pneumonia , think I might need to take a week off, however im on a tight deadline with the contract project, what should I do? Can they fire me for being sick?
    FFS take some time off to recover. Clients don't want some sickie on site coughing all over them. Neither does any other poor sod stuck in that office. They'll be happy you're not there and even happier that they don't have to pay for your sickie.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
    What's the issue then? Get them on site, if it's in your contract (as it should be) the client can't moan.
    Whooosh

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    I've been at work while coughing my lungs out, this lead to my condition getting worse, doctor basically told me not to go to work If I want to recover.
    Sorry to hear about your Illness - its always a worry.

Laugh if you like (which is good for you anyway) but when I pray for people who are sick - they have always recovered well - its to do with a certain ArchAngel .

I am not worthy - but just the Word and I shall be healed.

Leave a comment:

• Beefy198
    replied
    Yes, I have someone just waiting around in case I am ill, who is as skilled as I am.
    What's the issue then? Get them on site, if it's in your contract (as it should be) the client can't moan.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    If you're well enough to type, you're well enough to work.
    I've been at work while coughing my lungs out, this lead to my condition getting worse, doctor basically told me not to go to work If I want to recover.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Yes, I have someone just waiting around in case I am ill, who is as skilled as I am.

If you're well enough to type, you're well enough to work.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
    Are you working outside IR35?

If so, this is where your substitution clause comes in.

You have got a substitute haven't you?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    You're a contractor: they can "fire" you because there's a "y" in the day.
    True.

Leave a comment:

• Beefy198
    replied
    Hi,

I have a severe chest infection possibly pneumonia , think I might need to take a week off, however im on a tight deadline with the contract project, what should I do? Can they fire me for being sick?
    Are you working outside IR35?

If so, this is where your substitution clause comes in.

You have got a substitute haven't you?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I took a day off sick last week; first in three years. I'd struggle through virtually everything, but throwing up on your keyboard doesn't make a good impression.

You're a contractor: they can "fire" you because there's a "y" in the day.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    pneumonia is usually a secondary illness......

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Hi,

They can't fire you for being sick, but they can drop you for failing to meet deadlines. Assuming you have a right of substitution clause that goes both ways and they can insist that you deliver.

Pneumonia can be severe to the ultimate point (you snuff it) so you must take great care to recover properly or you won't be delivering anything. I hope you recover quickly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X