• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: phishing

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "phishing"

Collapse

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Now there's an idea, Thanks Baggy.
    Don't pick baggy's - it won't make it through the first pass.

Leave a comment:

• Bod
    replied
    Ask any of the following - these are common triggers for my pimp-dar :

Are you wearing a chocolate brown suit ?
    Do you still use "Jazz" and/or "Kouros" ?
    Did you buy the engagement ring at Elizabeth Duke ?

and the pièce de résistance :

When you ask for two references and a 10-year client history in advance of interview- they agree! Insta-Pimp !

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I have had my CV used in this way by a recruiter who simply replaced my name at the top.

Now there's an idea, Thanks Baggy.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    We agents are also victims of phishing. I was asking my resource teams about this and they admitted to being constantly called by rival recruitment consultants pretending to apply for jobs that we advertise on jobserve. .
    I have had my CV used in this way by a recruiter who simply replaced my name at the top.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    And the script will be the same quality as your posts then.

I am sure once translated from Hindi it will be blinding

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    I cam get it done much cheaper in Bangalore
    And the script will be the same quality as your posts then.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    We agents are also victims of phishing. I was asking my resource teams about this and they admitted to being constantly called by rival recruitment consultants pretending to apply for jobs that we advertise on jobserve. So what I would like to do is write a few open questions relating to a number of basic disciplines (testing.. what tools have you used?, BA.. what methodologies have you used and in what context.. give an example of a project.. programming languages..how do you check your code...etc) so if any of you have any ideas then they would be much appreciated. I already have the "do you know who your parents are"? question in the script.
    Find me a job. Take me to lunch. Buy me drinks.

And I'll explain what I do, how it works, and what kind of things you need to know.

Quid pro quo, Dodgy, quid pro quo.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I'll quite happily write you a script, however I do have a fixed margin of 50% of your fixed margin every time you use it. I'm only offering a service here, don't blame me, blame the market factors that have led up to a client using an agent using a contractor to interview a contractor for the client.
    I cam get it done much cheaper in Bangalore

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    I'll quite happily write you a script, however I do have a fixed margin of 50% of your fixed margin every time you use it. I'm only offering a service here, don't blame me, blame the market factors that have led up to a client using an agent using a contractor to interview a contractor for the client.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by basshead View Post
    I suggest asking 'Are you a recruitment agent?' will filter the slower ones out fairly quickly.
    It's easy as 123 for an agent to spot another agent: the Essex accent, the clink of innumerable signet rings as the agent types-in any info. gleaned during the call, phone number withheld, etc.

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    I suggest asking 'Are you a recruitment agent?' will filter the slower ones out fairly quickly.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    We agents are also victims of phishing. I was asking my resource teams about this and they admitted to being constantly called by rival recruitment consultants pretending to apply for jobs that we advertise on jobserve. So what I would like to do is write a few open questions relating to a number of basic disciplines (testing.. what tools have you used?, BA.. what methodologies have you used and in what context.. give an example of a project.. programming languages..how do you check your code...etc) so if any of you have any ideas then they would be much appreciated. I already have the "do you know who your parents are"? question in the script.
    It had occurred to me before that agents must get phished a lot by other agents who want to take their roles. This did make me more sympathetic to agents' refusing to identify their clients early on.

The real answer is the same as the contractors' answer to a lot of their complaints: build up a relationship of trust and only work with people you know. I can see a difficulty though.

As for your idea, AIUI you want a set of questions that a contractor could answer but an agent couldn't, so you can distinguish. Trouble is that you are an agent too so will you be able to apply them? It's a bit like having a limited skill in a foreign language: you can ask for directions but you can't understand them when you get them.

But wouldn't this real/phishing test be worth money? Oh, probably not, once you start out on it, all the other phishing agents will want one.

As I said, I do sympathise though.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    That's tragic.

Imagine timewasting recruitment consultants ringing you up by deception in order to gain an advantage by trickery and an elaborate ruse.

Sweet.
    I, too, wept for Dodgy. The unfairness of it all!

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    That's tragic.

Imagine timewasting recruitment consultants ringing you up by deception in order to gain an advantage by trickery and an elaborate ruse.

Sweet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X