• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Recession Row

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Recession Row"

Collapse

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    All the craze now are coachhouses. This is a flat above a set of garages as far as I can tell.
    Having rented just such a place, I can reveal that the noise from all one's neighbours' cars DOES, in fact, reverberate through the entire building and each morning, when the early birds warm-up their cars in winter, with clouds of exhaust filling the relatively static courtyard, one is within a lungful, or two, of carbon monoxide poisoning. Never again.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I love the way they reinvented the 'townhouse' so they could squeeze a 3/4 bed onto a 2 bed plot, I just don't understand why people buy these when they could get a larger and better built house in an established area for the same money.
    All the craze now are coachhouses. This is a flat above a set of garages as far as I can tell.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I love the way they reinvented the 'townhouse' so they could squeeze a 3/4 bed onto a 2 bed plot, I just don't understand why people buy these when they could get a larger and better built house in an established area for the same money.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I guess you're right but I don't understand why a new 3 bed cost the same or in some cases more than my house when mine was built in the 20's on a hill with nice views as opposed to a former landfill on a flood plane, did they really pay top dollar for these sites?
    Yes. And then some, if they had to clean it up. Government policy is to force building on brownfield sites, to
    a) get developers to clean up environmental mess
    b) keep houses off greenbelt so that we don't think the place is overcrowded, because it's going to have to get a lot more crowded with their cunning plan to cover future pension liability
    c) make new houses expensive so as to avoid undercutting present house prices, our only source of (the feeling of) wealth. And a source of government income.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    It's the land cost. They need to sell that at a high price as they paid a fortune for the land. And then the huge bribes to get the planning through.
    I guess you're right but I don't understand why a new 3 bed cost the same or in some cases more than my house when mine was built in the 20's on a hill with nice views as opposed to a former landfill on a flood plane, did they really pay top dollar for these sites?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    Actually, yes. You need to look at the real rate of inflation, not the government bollox. IIRC raw building materials have risen at an even higher rate for a good few years now.
    Absolutely, and over the last 10 years the Government have introduced new taxes like the Aggregate Levy. (I'm sure there are lots more, but can't think of any offhand.)

Also, planning enquiries for an estate like that cost a fortune these days, and so does all the work required for laying in amenities such as roads, water, gas, electricity, sewage etc.

Edit: If it was a brownfield site, they'd also have had to pay to demolish and possibly decontaminate the previous occupation and landscape the area.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 13 November 2008, 12:52.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    10 years ago you could have bought a new 3 bed semi for an average of £60k, how come they can’t knock em’ out at a profit now? Just because house prices are significantly higher surely the cost of actually putting the thing up hasn’t changed to the same degree?
    It's the land cost. They need to sell that at a high price as they paid a fortune for the land. And then the huge bribes to get the planning through.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I do wish the DAily Mail covered this story - I want to know what the houses are worth......
    Daily Mail solution to recession:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...s-holiday.html

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    10 years ago you could have bought a new 3 bed semi for an average of £60k, how come they can’t knock em’ out at a profit now? Just because house prices are significantly higher surely the cost of actually putting the thing up hasn’t changed to the same degree?
    Actually, yes. You need to look at the real rate of inflation, not the government bollox. IIRC raw building materials have risen at an even higher rate for a good few years now.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Does anyone want them at any price?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I do wish the DAily Mail covered this story - I want to know what the houses are worth......

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    http://www.insidearburypark.org.uk/R...3/Default.aspx

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Wow I didn't know Cambridge was THAT bad !

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Wot no pics?
    Here you go

Leave a comment:

Working...
X