• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Can anyone recommend...."

Collapse

• dang65
    replied
    Try Sven Hassel's war stories. Don't often see his books in the shops, but they have been republished recently so you can get them from Amazon. Forgotten genius. Black humour refined to perfection.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    £103 from an amazon market place seller
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Two-Thre.../dp/0003131696
    WHAT!!!! That must be a joke or something. I doubt very much that its rare - my daughters school has loads of copies of them.

And to be honest the characterisation and plot are not up to much

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    For fiction I like Douglas Coupland for nice querky stuff and Paul Auster for nice and calm stuff. And I am currently reading Ayn Rands "The Fountainhead", great stuff she writes for keeping me motivated to work hard.
    The Fountainhead is on the Lost list of books

http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Literary_works

Which i keep deviating from

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I love the fact that I get you googling. I am really flattered!
    Didn't!!! I love to make you think that I have done something I haven't!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Yup - but job hunting lacks the mental stimulation I can only get from posting on a board full of chaps such as yourself.
    Your optimism and insight keeps me going
    Don't forget to vote in the "Get rid of DP poll"

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    For fiction I like Douglas Coupland for nice querky stuff and Paul Auster for nice and calm stuff. And I am currently reading Ayn Rands "The Fountainhead", great stuff she writes for keeping me motivated to work hard.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Shouldn't you be looking for a job?
    Yup - but job hunting lacks the mental stimulation I can only get from posting on a board full of chaps such as yourself.
    Your optimism and insight keeps me going

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Tom Sharpe
    Carl Hiasen

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Was that the same Rodger Red Hat from the village of three corners?
    £103 from an amazon market place seller
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Two-Thre.../dp/0003131696

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    [EDIT] Chapter 5, dunce!

I love the fact that I get you googling. I am really flattered!

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post

The Roger Red Hat series is good to. cant remember the author though!
    Was that the same Rodger Red Hat from the village of three corners?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    shhh

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I quiet like the VW Beatle repair manual by Haines. Great factual style, nice narrative. Chapter 4 rebuilding the transmission was tough to get through though and the ending was a bitconfusing. I find their work is getting a little repetitive these days though.

[EDIT] Chapter 5, dunce!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    Actually Ross has also done a lot to highlight the tulip wages our forces get.
    Fair enough. Jim Davidson - dislike the man, but admire his entertaining the troops. What a strange world we live in.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I quiet like the VW Beatle repair manual by Haines. Great factual style, nice narrative. Chapter 4 rebuilding the transmission was tough to get through though and the ending was a bit confusing kept getting my wires crossed. I find their work is getting a little repetitive these days though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X