• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: How Much?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How Much?"

Collapse

• tay
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    I have a bird scaring system.

Unfortunately it's my face
    Not true!!!

It isnt just your face.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Found this.

YouTube is your friend

It's a hell of a way to make chicken nuggets!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Simply nail a hawk above each engine to scare away the approaching birds
    might effect fuel economy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Hawk

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Simply nail a hawk above each engine to scare away the approaching birds

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    I have a bird scaring system.

Unfortunately it's my face

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Birdstrikes cock up propellers too incidentally, at the rotational and forward velocities of a prop or turbine a bird corpse is a rather hard object, the real issue is big birds or flocks of small ones.

The most effective approach is the one that airports routinely use which is to keep birds off the airfields so that they don't hit the aircraft on takeoff or landing. A common cause of flight/landing delay is scaring the birds away so they don't get ingested by the engines or slap into the wings, fin and fuselage.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    They should have a fast spinning thing with blades on in front of the engine inlet to chop up any incoming birds into small nuggets.

A turboprop perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    been tried , didn't work. The system shot down friendly birds that approached the engine by mistake
    Radar should track them and only shoot down if projected trajectory will result in a contact with airplane.

Now that kind of weapon would not need BAE to give bribes to sell it to foreign countries

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Solution - put defensive laser system that would shoot down incoming obstacles without proper ID. Also can double up as anti-missile defence system. Sorted!
    been tried , didn't work. The system shot down friendly birds that approached the engine by mistake

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
    Why don't they just put chicken-wire over the front of the engines??? - air goes in, chickens stay out.

contracting plan B - the aviation industry. I think I've got a future there...
    You find me some chicken wire that'll withstand a 600mph impact and I'll buy as much as you can get

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Solution - put defensive laser system that would shoot down incoming obstacles without proper ID. Also can double up as anti-missile defence system. Sorted!

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Why don't they just put chicken-wire over the front of the engines??? - air goes in, chickens stay out.

contracting plan B - the aviation industry. I think I've got a future there...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    it would be so heavy it couldn't fly or made of such wildly costly materials you couldn't afford to build one for commercial use.
    Quite. Much cheaper to pay out from time to time insurance money to grieving relatives.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Incinerated birdie with a seasoning of b0rked turbine blades and compressor bits is what you get out of the back.

Yes airframes are extensively tested with birdstrikes as are the engines, but as pointed out by FaQQer multiple strikes at takeoff or landing are troublesome for any aircraft. You should see a bird cannon they use in testing, bloody great big bit of kit and impressively noisy, takes all sorts of birdy calibres too from sparrows to damn great big seabirds/swans.
    It's conceivably possible to make a strike immune airframe (not engine as they have to suck in loads of air by design) but it would be so heavy it couldn't fly or made of such wildly costly materials you couldn't afford to build one for commercial use.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Though there is that old old story about the frozen chicken....
    What do you get on the other side of the turbo-fan engine, jerk chicken?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X