• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "They wish they'd picked their own cotton now"

Collapse

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Major was not much better than atw would have been. He assumed that Europe would play fair - instead he found that East of Dover civilization ends.

Why did Lucky Lawson give up anyway? That was a shame.....
    East of Dover - It's a bit dodgy south of the Thames!

Lawson - he gave it up to take a staring role in Xena: Warrior Princess.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    It was Major's condition for taking the job of Chancellor of the Exchequer that Sterling join the ERM.
    Major was not much better than atw would have been. He assumed that Europe would play fair - instead he found that East of Dover civilization ends.

Why did Lucky Lawson give up anyway? That was a shame.....

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    well, I will concede that our tulipe ones are ten times better than your good ones
    I take no responsibility for them.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    That was one of my few reasoned comments!

Most of the things I hate about Labour were started by the tories - abolish ACT, fuel escalator - and bought in by that idiot Major. I might add it was Major who took us into the ERM against Maggie's wishes - why she did not sack him I don't know. Only think she did wrong.

We need a return to simplified tax system and balancing the budget.

We also need a true thatcher successor or a non mad maggie. Mind you even while senile I bet she would do better than Brown.
    It was Major's condition for taking the job of Chancellor of the Exchequer that Sterling join the ERM.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    And there's ends Brillo's input to reasoned debate.
    That was one of my few reasoned comments!

Most of the things I hate about Labour were started by the tories - abolish ACT, fuel escalator - and bought in by that idiot Major. I might add it was Major who took us into the ERM against Maggie's wishes - why she did not sack him I don't know. Only think she did wrong.

We need a return to simplified tax system and balancing the budget.

We also need a true thatcher successor or a non mad maggie. Mind you even while senile I bet she would do better than Brown.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Churchill and Thatcher were the worst prime minsters we ever had, both of them retured off by their own parties as liabilities outside of wartime.

Even saying that, they were both better than B&B.

well, I will concede that our sh1te ones are ten times better than your good ones

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    I don't think you can blame GB's incompetence on his Scottishness. He would have been just as crap if he came from England.
    Maybe, I’m a proud Londoner so it would go against my very being to believe that it has nothing to do with it.

I suppose that I could have said “But we have a autistic sociopath for a PM which shows how inclusive we are of those with mental health ‘challenges’“

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Which part? He just won the election with an overwhelming majority
    The ones with all the guns and bunkers.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    e.g. Churchill and Thatcher vs. Bliar and Brown
    Churchill and Thatcher were the worst prime minsters we ever had, both of them retured off by their own parties as liabilities outside of wartime.

Even saying that, they were both better than B&B.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    But at least we have had a female PM. The best PM ever in fact.
    And there's ends Brillo's input to reasoned debate.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I don't think you can blame GB's incompetence on his Scottishness. He would have been just as crap if he came from England.
    oh come on. Crappiness of British PM's is directly proportional to their jock-ness.

e.g. Churchill and Thatcher vs. Bliar and Brown

I rest my case

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Well it's probably unhelpful to further aggravate the nervousness that Republican America will be feeling today. The country has taken a risk, massive for them, and it's going to be hard for Obama to gain acceptance with a large part of his citizens, so no need for us to make his job harder by stirring things with joke talk about cotton etc.
    Which part? He just won the election with an overwhelming majority

Dubya never had is this easy, the sizable chunk of the country that didn't vote for him, pegged him as an idiot and war monger. As did most of the rest of the freeworld

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    We've got a Scottish one that not even his own party voted for.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    4. When we've voted in a black or Asian PM, then we can throw stones
    We've got a Scottish one that not even his own party voted for.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Well it's probably unhelpful to further aggravate the nervousness that Republican America will be feeling today. The country has taken a risk, massive for them, and it's going to be hard for Obama to gain acceptance with a large part of his citizens, so no need for us to make his job harder by stirring things with joke talk about cotton etc.

But a few things to bear in mind:

1. I doubt either Obama or Republican America read CUK.
    2. Although possibly imflammatory, the topic is not actually racist
    3. We've had too much bad temper recently, people need to lighten up
    4. When we've voted in a black or Asian PM, then we can throw stones
    5. AndyW
    But at least we have had a female PM. The best PM ever in fact.

At the moment the standards of moderation seem to be slipping quite a bit. I think I might well up the extremity of my posts. And if people want to lighten up they should go to light relief.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X