• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The future of IT contracting"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras
    Growth areas;

Document management
    and general backup and storage management (slightly lower-level)

Leave a comment:

• AttitudeAdjuster
    replied
    The reality of 'permanent' employment

Originally posted by hyperD
    I thought that there were, even in this country, some employment laws that made this sort of activity hard to implement. Contractors, yes, permies, no.

I know companies outsource future work abroad, tell the perms that there's no more new work and then make some of them redundant as a result('cos it's all been outsourced).
    Ha, basically, if you have not been at a place for at least a year (or is it two?), you have zero rights. A place I worked at, the director didn't like the face of one person, so the scheme was to make all the s/w people redundant then selectively re-employ under a new job description that the 'trouble-maker' would not match (natch!). There were emails he sent to his legal advisors left on the server for all to see (what a plonker!), so we knew what was happening. Even in the face of this, the one guy who went through the legal process got nowhere.

And I wondered why a company of that size had such a large HR department. Now I know, they had a history of doing dirty deals and fighting individuals in the courts.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    well its happening here....some people are keeping thier jobs, the rest are in a "pool" that may find a job, but in not will be made redundent

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    the contract where I am at the mo - 3 days to go ! are outsourcing to Budapest ......all the permies are being told if they have jobs or not, most seem not!. .........this is for a major oil company..........
    I thought that there were, even in this country, some employment laws that made this sort of activity hard to implement. Contractors, yes, permies, no.

I know companies outsource future work abroad, tell the perms that there's no more new work and then make some of them redundant as a result('cos it's all been outsourced).

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    the contract where I am at the mo - 3 days to go ! are outsourcing to Budapest ......all the permies are being told if they have jobs or not, most seem not!. .........this is for a major oil company..........

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by xinetd.d
    Have a look on amazon then quick, by the weekend you could have the full set of "Dummies" books.
    Actual fact, 'cos of 3, 4 implied in one system that's live with a major oil co. Full house!

hyperD in "DevilFish" mode.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Yes .NET, BizTalk are at the top on my CV, along with SQL Server, Analysis Services (OLAP) and these are good skills that should last at least another few years.

No IT skill is 100% safe from offshoring, but then most offshored projects are total disasters anyway.

Leave a comment:

• xinetd.d
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    Woo hoo! 3 out of 4!!

Have a look on amazon then quick, by the weekend you could have the full set of "Dummies" books.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Woo hoo! 3 out of 4!!

Leave a comment:

• xinetd.d
    replied
    No time for IT training in "pakistan and afghanistan", they're too busy farming the worlds drug supply. Nice muslims aren't they?

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Originally posted by xinetd.d
    "the only work in the UK widely available for IT contractors will be rollouts and installs", according to a top recruitment consultant that is. He reckons all the new IT projects will be outsourced to India.
    Then he's an idiot.

The failure rate of projects outsourced is High and some outsourcing from India is actually coming here!

Outsouring works in very narrow areas but those that involve the whole IT function have the highest failure rate.

Growth areas;

.Net
    Biztalk
    Sharepoint
    Document management

looking at Windows Vista I think there will be a much tighter link between the OS and applications that run on it and therefore that will become a growth area. For example allowing the searching for invoices direct from windows explorer.

I'll probably try and get a copy of Windows Vista as soon as possible and start developing stuff for it. That way when it does become more mainstream I'll have done something with it.

Leave a comment:

• sappatz
    replied
    urdu

learn to speak urdu (pakistan and afghanistan). china and India are too expensive already

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    去您油脂说谎的坏蛋

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Threaded, my pronunciation and spelling is not so good....but

Due lay lo mo chow Hai!!!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    And learn to speak Cantonese
    Mandarin, dear chap Mandarin.

Like what wo hùi hen hao.

At one of my clients I actually proof read a sale brochure and corrected the (very expensive) Danish to Mandarin translator.

Which earned me a few browny points.

Which was nice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X