• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Brake Discs

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brake Discs"

Collapse

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Olly View Post
    Also sounds like utter utter bollocks. Sorry this is not making you feel better
    At least you know now though never to use that garage again and "try" and find better. What car is this by the way and what age?
    Mondeo on a 55 plate

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    TonyEnglish,

Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but handbrake cables need tightening (a 1 min job) not replacing with the said symptoms described.

You only need the handbrake cables replacing when by pulling up on your handbrake sharply, you end up punching your jaw.
    That is what I said but apparantly not!

As was said before - I know not to use them again. Independant little garages for me from now on.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Well it's just filed it's MOT on one of the rear brake calipers. This dispite the rear pads and drums being 'replaced' a few months ago. Surely this part would have to have been removed to do this job.

Also it didn't fail the MOT on the front discs.

flipin garages!
    Don't take your car to a garage for an MOT. Use the local council depot. They don't do repairs and so don't need to fail you in order to make money.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    TonyEnglish,

Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but handbrake cables need tightening (a 1 min job) not replacing with the said symptoms described.

You only need the handbrake cables replacing when by pulling up on your handbrake sharply, you end up punching your jaw.

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    Well they have called back to say it's not the cliper but one of the handbrake cables. Apparantly it's not pulling enough. These need to be replaced and they can't get hold of them until tomorrow. I ferkin hate garages.
    Also sounds like utter utter bollocks. Sorry this is not making you feel better
    At least you know now though never to use that garage again and "try" and find better. What car is this by the way and what age?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Well they have called back to say it's not the cliper but one of the handbrake cables. Apparantly it's not pulling enough. These need to be replaced and they can't get hold of them until tomorrow. I ferkin hate garages.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Sorry meant to type disc!

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    Originally posted by Crusoe101 View Post
    confused here,

A drum is sumething that pushes outwards to brake the shoes
    Me too....
    a drum in this case is shaped like a round biscuit tin and something the shoes press against.

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    To help you next time not to look like you have "overcharge me I know very little about cars" written all over you.

If you have drum brakes on the rear then you have pistons and shoes and a drum

If you have disc brakes then you have callipers, pads and discs.

No you don't need to remove pistons to fit new shoes but if they were weeping then it could be spotted they were on the way out. Unless the garage has taken the drums off to have a look there's NO WAY they can see it's X or Y that's at fault with certainty after a fail on the brake testing machine.

Leave a comment:

• Crusoe101
    replied
    confused here, if you have drums on the rear you wont have calipers.

(0) is the idea of calipers with the circle being the disk.

A drum is sumething that pushes outwards to brake the shoes

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Well it's just filed it's MOT on one of the rear brake calipers. This dispite the rear pads and drums being 'replaced' a few months ago. Surely this part would have to have been removed to do this job.

flipin garages!
    Duke St is good, he's done all repairs and servicing on this car. he's sorted niggles for free and fits you in at short notice. there is an MOT place up a side st behind Solomans (Kebab shop, one of the best in town!), he's good too...

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied

Feckin garages!

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    MOT is being done now at the same place that's servicing it. So are those little garages accross from Kwik Fit any good? I've often thought about giving them a go but tend to leave everything to the last minute.
    They can be excellent, I used to use one that had been recommended by a couple of friends, good work, advice and reasonable price, shame he's retired to the golf course now.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    Tony, they fit as well as supply, but check if they are still there... I'm not sure if they are. (head from John street to Milnrow road, they're round the bend on the left after Carcraft and TK Max)

Take it to the garage across from Kwik-fit back towards the infirmary. He does mine, and is v straight up. (Duke St Garage)

Where you having the MOT done??
    MOT is being done now at the same place that's servicing it. So are those little garages accross from Kwik Fit any good? I've often thought about giving them a go but tend to leave everything to the last minute.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    I checked their website and they seem to be just a supplier of parts. Will they give it the once over?
    Tony, they fit as well as supply, but check if they are still there... I'm not sure if they are. (head from John street to Milnrow road, they're round the bend on the left after Carcraft and TK Max)

Take it to the garage across from Kwik-fit back towards the infirmary. He does mine, and is v straight up. (Duke St Garage)

Where you having the MOT done??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X