• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ohh man

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ohh man"

Collapse

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    and leave it on the train for someone else to pick and look at.
    I'm sure they'd find the collection of images more interesting than the zipped up codebase.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    And the advantage is you take your codebase away with you when you finish for reference.
    and leave it on the train for someone else to pick and look at.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Some clients disable USB, for security reasons.
    That's true. Still nothing to stop you zipping it up and emailing it to yourself.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    With USB sticks so cheap these days, you can always do personal backups in addition to source control and server backups...
    Some clients disable USB, for security reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Liability View Post
    didnt you backup?

I dont care where its placed and who does what - I ALWAYS backup - you cant rely on idiotic people.
    You can always rely on Idiotic people

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    1. Restore from personal backup

2. Make song and dance about permie and complain about company backup policy (or lack of)

3. Surf / drink tea for a week

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Liability View Post
    didnt you backup?
    I dont care where its placed and who does what - I ALWAYS backup - you cant rely on idiotic people.
    With USB sticks so cheap these days, you can always do personal backups in addition to source control and server backups.

And the advantage is you take your codebase away with you when you finish for reference.

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by Badger View Post
    Got in this morning and some permie goon in the US has deleted a weeks worth of my work.
    didnt you backup?

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    No problem, go back to backup
    They don't backup their development environment. It's all server based as well so I have no local copy. But as TBYJ says, looks good from a contract point of view, just a pain in the to re do the work.

Damn you Ruprect :-)

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Guys, just do the work again and get paid for it. Be glad that most large organisations are so badly managed nobody will notice or even care anyway.

Leave a comment:

• kanulondon
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    I was freeing up some space on an overused drive today, and some contractor has just gone mad at me saying I deleted his work. The numpty hadn't checked anything into CVS for over a week!

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Er!

You did create a Backup didn't you Badger?

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    I was freeing up some space on an overused drive today, and some contractor has just gone mad at me saying I deleted his work. The numpty hadn't checked anything into CVS for over a week!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Got in this morning and some permie goon in the US has deleted a weeks worth of my work.
    No problem, go back to backup

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Don't get mad... this is work you'll have to re-do. This is contract security.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X