• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hedge funds fear bankruptcy after Porsche squeeze"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    If Hitler did not attack USSR I think Britain would have no choice but to surrender few years after Dunkirk - the only way it worked was because Hitler got involved heavy with USSR and almost all forces were there. I think Rommel pretty clearly demonstrated that German land forces are not easily trounced, on the other hand I think if Britain surrendered after Dunkirk when it could get good terms then Hitler would have, in my view, successfully invaded USSR.

So I give credit to British stubborness not to agree to make peace after Dunkirk.
    mostly correct, except thats Britains surrender was not inevitable. Britain survived the continental system in the Napoleonic era due to a successful 'blue water' policy, if they could survive the uboat threat, and any air threat, there is no reason why they could not stand alone indefinately, against the nazis, using a similar policy.

That would have left Adolf with one giant problem. a bulldog attached to his left leg, a commie attached to his right leg, and a sleepy USA wondering when it was ok to kick him in between.

Of course, Adolf decided not to wait. And the rest is history......

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    IF
    Wasn't that a poem? Kipling?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    If Hitler did not attack USSR I think Britain would have no choice but to surrender few years after Dunkirk - the only way it worked was because Hitler got involved heavy with USSR and almost all forces were there. I think Rommel pretty clearly demonstrated that German land forces are not easily trounced, on the other hand I think if Britain surrendered after Dunkirk when it could get good terms then Hitler would have, in my view, successfully invaded USSR.

So I give credit to British stubborness not to agree to make peace after Dunkirk.

IF

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Thanks for that.
    Now back to your hobby.
    He has a hobby? It is posting bollox on cuk?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Thanks for that.
    Now back to your hobby.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    The last time the Germans tried to do things on their own was during the war, and we trounced them.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Indeed. That is not its purpose.
    It will only confuse AtW

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Please do not introduce logic or fact into this discussion expat.
    Indeed. That is not its purpose. We are conducting crucial emergency surgery in removing atW's head from deep in his arse where it is firmly lodged.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Something to do with absorbing a large communist country smoothly into their economy? I'd love to see anybody else managing that.

As for so many British contractors working in Germany, I'd see that as a sign of the strength of the German economy (in creating more jobs than they can fill themselves) and the weakness of the British economy (in not creating enough jobs for its own people).

Please do not introduce logic or fact into this discussion expat.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    So if Germany has so wonderful a manufacturing base then why has it not created the jobs to keep 4 million in work for the last 10 years?
    Something to do with absorbing a large communist country smoothly into their economy? I'd love to see anybody else managing that.

As for so many British contractors working in Germany, I'd see that as a sign of the strength of the German economy (in creating more jobs than they can fill themselves) and the weakness of the British economy (in not creating enough jobs for its own people).

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Why would they want to make them.

The last time the Germans tried to do things on their own was during the war, and we trounced them.

Also who are the recruitment businesses in Germany?

Why none other than Hays, Progressive, Huxley etc.. British agencies. We dont need to manufacture. we put the deals together wherever in the world they may be. This leaves the manuc=facturers with no control over what happens to their products or where even they are manufactured.

Germany is just another India with a language problem, without the business skills and ambition to take it any further.
    Yes and if SKA was any good, atW would have to rely on British marketeers and City finance to make it big.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    So wealthy arabs that buy Rolls Royces and thus use them are now the people who make them?

Why would they want to make them.

Also who are the recruitment businesses in Germany?

Why none other than Hays, Progressive, Huxley etc.. British agencies. We dont need to manufacture. we put the deals together wherever in the world they may be. This leaves the manuc=facturers with no control over what happens to their products or where even they are manufactured.

Germany is just another India with a language problem, without the business skills and ambition to take it any further.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I was giving high enough figure to avoid him argueing about fraction of a percent, being so big for that case yet so small overall it was clearly disproving his arguement.

That sentence summarises what the problem is with you.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Who is it that uses Bosch drills the most?
    British DITYers of course
    So wealthy arabs that buy Rolls Royces and thus use them are now the people who make them?

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Seems like a bit of a steep concession. More like a tiny fraction of a percent?
    I was giving high enough figure to avoid him argueing about fraction of a percent, being so big for that case yet so small overall it was clearly disproving his arguement.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

We are the Accentures, PWCs, designers and ITers and the Germans and Indians get their hands dirty. If you think that the value here is in the getting the hands dirty then you are an even bigger fool than we already take you for
    Game set and match to Dodgy.

Nice one

Leave a comment:

Working...
X