• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is it with Chickens ?"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    It's amazing how many people don't realise this fact, and think the eggs have to be fertilised to be laid.
    In fact just because a cock has mounted a hen doesn't mean that they are fertilised anyway. He gets to say whether his seed is going in that hole, but she gets to decide whether it goes anywhere near an egg. A hen can hold it in for quite a while before deciding.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Money Money Money View Post
    Yeah, me parents had one for about a year then built a bigger one so they could get more chicken. Cockerel was a pain in the arse though and kept attacking me mum, so I shot it with a 12bore.

HTH
    Had one cock that thought he was cock-of-the-walk, and when I came into his hut he ran at me and pecked me hard on the boot. A second contact between him and my boot convinced him once and for all that the pecking order wan't what he had hoped after all. OTOH when a hen with chicks charged, I gave way. I knew that she meant it.

You do want a certain aggression in a cock, he may be a prat but he'll defend his girls. If a fox gets into the henhut, the feathers that you see all over the place are cock feathers. He goes in first.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

So when I am eating my boiled egg tomorrow, I actually eating a
    censored
    It's amazing how many people don't realise this fact, and think the eggs have to be fertilised to be laid.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Only if you want chicks. Do women stop menstruating when they don't have a man around? Eggs are just chicken 'time of the months'

So when I am eating my boiled egg tomorrow, I actually eating a

censored

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    I use to keep bantams ( nothing to do with motorbikes) until my mum cooked one of them for tea

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    How come they lay eggs? Don't they need a one-in-a-while seeing to?
    Only if you want chicks. Do women stop menstruating when they don't have a man around? Eggs are just chicken 'time of the months'

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    No, we don't have any cockerels. Hens are pretty quiet on the whole.
    How come they lay eggs? Don't they need a one-in-a-while seeing to?

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Anybody got one of these? I'm quite tempted.
    http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_serv...the%20goodlife
    They're a bit expensive for the amount of living space you get.
    I built my own.

http://www.bampotty.com/chickencoop/cooprebuild6.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Money Money Money
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Anybody got one of these? I'm quite tempted.

http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_serv...the%20goodlife

Yeah, me parents had one for about a year then built a bigger one so they could get more chicken. Cockerel was a pain in the arse though and kept attacking me mum, so I shot it with a 12bore.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    Do your chickens cock-a-doodle-do? Some arse near where I live has a right bastard rooster that lets rip at 5am.
    No, we don't have any cockerels. Hens are pretty quiet on the whole.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Some foodscraps are fine (next week they'll be eating the inside of our jack-o-lantern pumpkin for instance). Some foods are a definite no-no, but any chicken book or web page can tell you which ones.

For egg layers, you should get layers pellets for the bulk of their food, but these are literally dirt cheap compared with the number of eggs you'll get back for it.
    Do your chickens cock-a-doodle-do? Some arse near where I live has a right bastard rooster that lets rip at 5am.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Can I just feed them foodscraps or do they need some special chicken feed?
    Some foodscraps are fine (next week they'll be eating the inside of our jack-o-lantern pumpkin for instance). Some foods are a definite no-no, but any chicken book or web page can tell you which ones.

For egg layers, you should get layers pellets for the bulk of their food, but these are literally dirt cheap compared with the number of eggs you'll get back for it.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Can I just feed them foodscraps or do they need some special chicken feed?

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Chickens are OK if you can't find any sheep.
    They tend to peck during foreplay though

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Does it work out cheaper just to buy eggs from the shops instead of rearing chickens in your back garden though?
    Yes.

Are eggs from your own hens better?
    Oh, yes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X