• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Greatest Guitarst. EVER !!"

Collapse

• wobbegong
    replied
    Rudolf and Michael Schenker

Leave a comment:

• stingman123
    replied
    Andy Summers, Robert Fripp Etc

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    true, true. i have a soft spot for segovia because it was his playing that made me want to take up the instrument when i was a child: there was a documentory about him in the mid seventies that inspired me.

i was taught to play by a chap who was taught by john williams... mind you, i was only 10 and took barely a dozen lessons.

I saw Segovia at Stratford-upon-Avon and he was superb. What I enjoyed also is that he played something I was learning at the time and it made me even more motivated to continue with the classical guitar.....

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    Yes, he's not the most original ever as he only plays covers but for technical ability I believe he is definately up there with the greatest ever..

There is a local guy from the Wirral - Gary Murphy. Also does mainly covers but technically brilliant, everything from the blues, jazz, to very fast country rock (Albert Lee's Country Boy). Plus he also does an amazing one man duelling banjos

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    One of my favs is John Martryn

The King of the Echoplex

Big Muff - can't you see Ive had enough
    Lord Knows - you're trying to kill me

Also Mick Ronson - the solo on Bowies Moonage DayDream ranks as one of the finest.

Otherwise - Jim Hendrix - Peace over Missipps - for sheer far outness and House Burning Down for best ever intro
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 28 October 2008, 10:40.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Weedon

Bert Weeden, he played the guitar behind the scenes while many a pop group guitarist mimed as they could not play live or some times not at all.
    Ta for that Paddy. I didn't realise he was so influential.

I still have bad memories of Radio (Take a Good Song and Make It Sound Like All the Rest) 2 in the 1970s though.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    There's also John Williams who is one of today's top classical guitarists (or would be if he hasn't retired) and if you can watch him without being put off by his facial contortions there's Julian Bream (who also scores highly in my book because he's an expert lutenist).
    true, true. i have a soft spot for segovia because it was his playing that made me want to take up the instrument when i was a child: there was a documentory about him in the mid seventies that inspired me.

i was taught to play by a chap who was taught by john williams... mind you, i was only 10 and took barely a dozen lessons.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Been listening to a lot of Andy McKee recently - this is worth checking out.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    Damn, missed that. Looks like the performance is schedule to be released on CD next month.

"Guitar Shop" is a classic IMHO.
    Just to give an idea of what those who might be expected to know thought, the audience included Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and Brian May among others.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Andres Segovia
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    andres segovia for classical, joe pass for jazz, django reinhardt for gypsy, bert jansch for folk and jimi hendrix for rock.
    There's also John Williams who is one of today's top classical guitarists (or would be if he hasn't retired) and if you can watch him without being put off by his facial contortions there's Julian Bream (who also scores highly in my book because he's an expert lutenist).

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    After his show at Ronnie Scott's (shown on BBC4 on Friday), definitely Jeff Beck.
    Damn, missed that. Looks like the performance is schedule to be released on CD next month.

"Guitar Shop" is a classic IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    After his show at Ronnie Scott's (shown on BBC4 on Friday), definitely Jeff Beck.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    the beauty of the instrument is of course that you don't need to have the technical ability. the skills of a vai or a malmsteen can be knocked into a cocked hat (albeit briefly) by someone with two chords an attitude.

Leave a comment:

• Chantho
    replied
    I voted for Hendrix but I would have liked the chance to vote for Steve Howe

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    as good as davey graham?

as good as john williams?

i'd better check him out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X