• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: What's next?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What's next?"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by stackpole View Post
    Thread context, Alf. You know we are talking about economy, not death and destruction.
    I think Alf's point is that one is not as bad as the other ....

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Is it ?

Try telling that to my Mother whose house in Clydebank was bombed to rubble by the Nazis during the Clydebank Blitz and lost many of her schoolfriends in the carnage.
    Thread context, Alf. You know we are talking about economy, not death and destruction.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Halifax Bank of Scotland or HBOS as it's known more widely. Bank that is the largest mortgage lender in the UK and appears to have been shorted into a takeover by Lloyds TSB and HMG.
    Being up north I had assumed the UK government were the biggest employers....

Regarding OP, should be noted UK per person debt was around 200% income. 150% in USA. 100% in Germany. Now it's time to pay the piper.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Is it ?

Try telling that to my Mother whose house in Clydebank was bombed to rubble by the Nazis during the Clydebank Blitz and lost many of her schoolfriends in the carnage.
    Quite right; any many in the world are still in situations that make our lives look like a picnic. even if you are out of work here, you are alive and you needn't starve (thanks to vaguely civilised social policies). Always look on the bright side of life!

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by stackpole View Post
    In previous recessions we've never had real-term debt on anything like this scale.

On average, every man, woman and child in the UK owes more than the average annual wage, and the country's deficit is nearly 50% of GDP.

Both figures are still rising, the assets that back a lot of it, houses, are reducing in value, and a record proportion of the UK workforce that is supposed to pay it off is under threat in the financial sector.

That is the worst situation we've ever been in.
    Is it ?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Nope I'm well over 25, I well remember the Thatcher/Major recessions, Dot Com and 911. My feeling is this could get nastier since we have absolutely nothing in the UK to fall back on since the country is almost totally reliant on banking and finance service business which are the prime casualties. Plus I live in Halifax and I assume you can guess which is the largest employer in this town by a massive margin.....
    I think you're right, this one could be bad. And I remember earlier than that (I have a couple of slight memories of petrol rationing in 1956!)

If you live in Halifax, you may have to get used to not working there. I'm afraid that's the norm for a lot of us. At breakfast this morning the waitress asked for my room number. Eleven, I said. No wait, that was another day, another hotel. Today it's 9. I feel like one of the guys in the "arithmetic" scene in The Magnificent Seven.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
    Nope - haven't been to the UK for quite a number of years. Erm... Halifax bank?
    Halifax Bank of Scotland or HBOS as it's known more widely. Bank that is the largest mortgage lender in the UK and appears to have been shorted into a takeover by Lloyds TSB and HMG.

As Stackpole has said the UK economy is now heavily chained to house prices and has no industry to speak of, it could get thoroughly brutal in the UK if finance, banking and insurance total collapse happens.
    Last edited by TykeMerc; 15 October 2008, 21:51.

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    I have to ask, is everyone on here under the age of 25?

Having lived thru the 87 sharemarket crash, the dotcom bubble, and one or two other 'scares', I am amazed that ppl are posting here and elsewhere as if its the end of the world.

Yeah its looking like a decent recession, and we haven't had one of those for a while, but I wouldn't say the situation is (or likely to get) as bad as it was in the late 80's, especially not for I.T.

In a few years time you'll all be watching the Olympics on telly and this 'correction' will all be a distant memory
    In previous recessions we've never had real-term debt on anything like this scale.

On average, every man, woman and child in the UK owes more than the average annual wage, and the country's deficit is nearly 50% of GDP.

Both figures are still rising, the assets that back a lot of it, houses, are reducing in value, and a record proportion of the UK workforce that is supposed to pay it off is under threat in the financial sector.

That is the worst situation we've ever been in.

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Plus I live in Halifax and I assume you can guess which is the largest employer in this town by a massive margin.....
    Nope - haven't been to the UK for quite a number of years. Erm... Halifax bank?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied

Having lived thru the 87 sharemarket crash, the dotcom bubble, and one or two other 'scares', I am amazed that ppl are posting here and elsewhere as if its the end of the world.

Yeah its looking like a decent recession, and we haven't had one of those for a while, but I wouldn't say the situation is (or likely to get) as bad as it was in the late 80's, especially not for I.T.

In a few years time you'll all be watching the Olympics on telly and this 'correction' will all be a distant memory
    Nope I'm well over 25, I well remember the Thatcher/Major recessions, Dot Com and 911. My feeling is this could get nastier since we have absolutely nothing in the UK to fall back on since the country is almost totally reliant on banking and finance service business which are the prime casualties. Plus I live in Halifax and I assume you can guess which is the largest employer in this town by a massive margin.....

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Are you sure that they can't sell off the full value of your mortgage, keeping the savings for themselves (and then going bust)?
    Not if your savings are IN your mortgage account, no they can't. The account balance is all you owe.
    Even if so, if they go bust and net it out, isn't is just as if you had prepaid your ordinary mortgage? OK, you have not lost, but that extra payment is now fixed out of your reach.
    That might be inconvenient until you find another overdraft mortgage, but as you say you haven't lost a penny.

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Whats Next ?

When all the stars are falling down
    Into the sea and on the ground,
    And angry voices carry on the wind,
    A beam of light will fill your head
    And you'll remember what's been said
    By all the good men this world's ever known
    Thanks. I feel reasurred

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Are you sure that they can't sell off the full value of your mortgage, keeping the savings for themselves (and then going bust)?

Even if so, if they go bust and net it out, isn't is just as if you had prepaid your ordinary mortgage? OK, you have not lost, but that extra payment is now fixed out of your reach.
    I haven't got my mortgage contract/terms/conditions to hand, but I do have an offset mortgage and from memory it's very clear that the mortgage is linked to the current and savings accounts. I don't see how my bank could just sell off my mortgage debt independantly of my other accounts. The accounts are very intimately linked and specified on the contract.
    To an extent it's an "all my eggs in one basket" situation, but the benefits of an offset mortgage are appreciable and worth the risk to me. I don't pay 40% tax on my savings interest as I don't get any directly, it goes to the mortgage account so isn't income to me, also the amount of my mortgage that I pay interest on is tiny.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied

As I said, if you're worried about that, keep the savings in the mortgage account, then there is no argument.

Yes, if they go bust it's like a prepayment, but obviously they will then be chasing you for less.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X