• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Being a loan shark

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Being a loan shark"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    despite that being the highest APR, it's the joint lowest total repayment.
    Thats APR for you folks....
    That's because they are 14 and 16 week loans, compared to 6 months.

APR gives the best indication of true cost like for like

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by NoddY View Post
    Here are some doorstop lenders with APR's that make your eyes water:

(£250 loan over a few months)

http://www.lenderscompared.org.uk/se...submit=Re-sort

1069.0% how's that for a credit crunch.

despite that being the highest APR, it's the joint lowest total repayment.
    Thats APR for you folks....

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Here are some doorstop lenders with APR's that make your eyes water:

(£250 loan over a few months)

http://www.lenderscompared.org.uk/se...submit=Re-sort

1069.0% how's that for a credit crunch.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    20% APR is peanuts for door-to-door loan pushers.
    They make several hundred % APR, sometimes more.

e.g. these folks (182% APR typical)

P.S. Baggy, no offence, but I doubt you have the balls or the contacts to make this a viable Plan B

Edit. A quick search around and I found loans at more than 1500% APR
    Last edited by Platypus; 14 October 2008, 18:48.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    An old school pal of mine is now a debt collector. He was such quiet, nice and pleasant bloke at school... f--k knows what happened. He makes a tidy sum, and defaulting is, it seems, not an option, whatever that means.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    What like threatening to send CyberTory round to their house to bore them to death?
    No need to go that far, baseball bats aren't all that expensive.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Need to find a business that gets the chav benefit up-front and makes them dependant.
    Smack dealer?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    What like threatening to send CyberTory round to their house to bore them to death?
    I was thinking more about dressing up in a batman costume and sitting on their roof......

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    One of those fee charging ATM's might be a good earner. As always, location, location, location. Or maybe pre-paid debt cards?

Need to find a business that gets the chav benefit up-front and makes them dependant.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    I think sending AtW round to lecture them about taking on debt they couldn't afford would be equally effective

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    During the last downturn I knew someone who ran one of those back of the tabloids loan companies. He made an absolute fortune at ridiculous interest rates. I noticed the other day a large furnishing/elctronics chain is offering 20 odd percent APR and seemed to be rather busy. I can see a plan B here.........
    How many defaulted?

Or do you need a way of ensuring people pay up?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    started a topic Being a loan shark

Being a loan shark

During the last downturn I knew someone who ran one of those back of the tabloids loan companies. He made an absolute fortune at ridiculous interest rates. I noticed the other day a large furnishing/elctronics chain is offering 20 odd percent APR and seemed to be rather busy. I can see a plan B here.........

Working...
X