• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Councils

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Councils"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Mr Cook is now demanding £1bn of taxpayers' money in compensation for losing £1bn of taxpayers' money.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Err no, majority does not go on public services. Majority goes on staff salaries and pensions. The collection and administration swallows up the majority of CT.
    The council who was a customer 20 years ago was getting to the stage then where pensions were costing more than salaries.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Many of these councils were approached by those clever sales chappies at said Icelandic banks offering generous terms.

With regards to budget surpluses, if you have a retained profit in your ltdco would you volunteer to take a rate cut from your client for the next 6 monther? Of course you wouldn't.
    generous terms = back-handers

TELEGRAPH 26.2.08
    £1 trillion cost of public pensions
    By Andrew Porter

Public sector pensions are set to cost taxpayers £1,025 billion - or £40,000 for every household over the next 20 years - according to figures released today.
    Last edited by Paddy; 15 October 2008, 21:38.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
    Can anyone explain to me why councils are hoarding up money in Icelandic banks and not spending it on public services?? If there is a surplus simply charge us less tax!
    Many of these councils were approached by those clever sales chappies at said Icelandic banks offering generous terms.

With regards to budget surpluses, if you have a retained profit in your ltdco would you volunteer to take a rate cut from your client for the next 6 monther? Of course you wouldn't.
    Last edited by moorfield; 15 October 2008, 21:29.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    They are spending it on public services, they are just keeping it in the most productive account until the bills come in.
    Err no, majority does not go on public services. Majority goes on staff salaries and pensions. The collection and administration swallows up the majority of CT. (I have contracted with a few local authorities and I had to have an understanding of their finance for the projects). Even worse are business rates, the vast majority of the tax goes to central government.

I have two town centre properties that are mixed use. £2,800 CT each and £12,000 each business rates plus the swindling business levy of £500. Each of the above are paying for the same services several times over. The business levy so far has raised £5,000,000 and has paid for two PCOs and the removal of some chewing gum. The remainder goes on administration charges including “consultancy” The firm of consultants has two councillors as directors. And AtW thinks there’s no F’n corruption in this country.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    the money had to be spent so they didnt lose 300k out of their next years budget!
    Thank you for spelling "lose" correctly. But shame on you for not using an apostrophe in "didn't".

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Can anyone explain to me why councils are hoarding up money in Icelandic banks and not spending it on public services?? If there is a surplus simply charge us less tax!
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/w...-200810101314/

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    no can do

Leave a comment:

• bellymonster
    replied
    im sure i could get into trouble about it if i divulged - client confidentiality agreement and all that....

booby prize to the first CUK'er to find the page i put on there....hint it begins with https:// lol

At least tell us what region it is in.

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    For the good of the country you should divulge the council involved.
    I hate waste like this and it should be stamped out.
    im sure i could get into trouble about it if i divulged - client confidentiality agreement and all that....

booby prize to the first CUK'er to find the page i put on there....hint it begins with https:// lol

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    this was at the end of in 2005.....
    It is a fairly recent change. Some managers still insist on spending the money.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    You're missing the point - the question was why have they got any money on deposit, not why was it in Icelandic banks.

Full marks for getting in yet another dig at any Non-Tory and explaining the actions of (some) Tory Councils by blaming Labour - what footie team do you support?

Not missing the point at all. It is sheer incompetence from HMG, Councils etc.
    As a taxpayer we are all entitled to question their constant crazy decisions.

Northern Rock has been guaranteeing deposits and were offering the best rates (over 7%) in the UK for longterm deposits until very recently.

I just find it incredible, after the warnings in the press as well a few months ago. I heard on the radio last night that one council did move their money after those warnings. Perhaps we should make their man PM, because nobody else seems to have a clue!!!

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    I believe this is one thing that NL ave managed to stop.
    this was at the end of in 2005.....

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    the money had to be spent so they didnt lose 300k out of their next years budget!
    I believe this is one thing that NL have managed to stop.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I think as a proportion of Council annual budgets, the money invested/lost is quite minuscule.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X