• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Sky Hd

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sky Hd"

Collapse

• Flubster
    replied
    Here's something that may interest those of you with multiple HD TVs...

http://www.pace.com/corporate/products/productDetails.asp?nav=products&productID=GENERIC-Multiroom

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    On a screen size of 40” or less and sat at the correct viewing distance the human eye cannot tell the difference between 1080P and 720P, 1080P is useful if you have a bigger screen and like to sit too close.

SD pictures generally look worse on a 1080P than they do on a 720P, it all depends on the scalar.

Link

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• THEPUMA
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Fine if you call 720p HD. I don't.
    The best 42" plasma you could get until Pioneer discontinued them was 720p.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by stingman123 View Post

I would probably get it after they know off the extra £10 fee, or get a freeview HD tuner.
    You mean Freesat? A whole 2 HD channels...

Leave a comment:

• stingman123
    replied
    Went over to my neighbour's house at the weekend and while the TV was on noticed a big improvement over the "Sky HD" service I had @18 months ago.

The picture is better (abeit with some noise) but the sound is still pap.

I would probably get it after they know off the extra £10 fee, or get a freeview HD tuner.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    If looking at tinned Human Poo at the Tate is bettering yourself.... I will pass thanks.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I once read that satellite TV is most popular with a certain class of society. Why is that?

I myself don't have satellite telly, I don't have enough time in the day for the first 5 channels never mind the rest. Even then the first 5 are usually utter tosh.

Discuss...
    You're right, in an effort to ‘better’ myself visited the Tate modern and started reading Dostoevsky but I found myself pining for Premiership football and CSI. Must be my upbringing.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I once read that satellite TV is most popular with a certain class of society. Why is that?

I myself don't have satellite telly, I don't have enough time in the day for the first 5 channels never mind the rest. Even then the first 5 are usually utter tosh.

Discuss...
    You are a cheapskate boring loser?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Recruitment Agent View Post
    This post is in the general section I dont need to talk about contracting 24 hrs a day you need to get a life Dodgy Agent...
    Cheap shiny suits at 20 paces...

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Recruitment Agent View Post
    This post is in the general section I dont need to talk about contracting 24 hrs a day you need to get a life Dodgy Agent...
    If I had a life I would'nt be here in the first place. Also if you spent a bit more time here and less time applying the hair gel and polish you may get to understand the meaning of "irony"

Leave a comment:

• Recruitment Agent
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    That is a pretty lame post from a recruitment agent. You should be making posts that highlight the stereotypes that we associate with IT contractors

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I only keep sky for the PVR but a quick glance at my recordings reveals that I hardly ever record anything that I couldn't get on freeview, I would like HD but I don't want to pay any more.

Humax are releasing a freesat HD PVR at around xmas time, it's supposed to have a very good EPG with features such as auto +1 hour when recordings clash.

I plan to ditch sky then.

There's not much more on Freesat that's not already on terrestrial, of any quality.

A few BBC HD programmes (Heroes Series 3 ), the odd live footy match on ITV HD, and not a lot else. Doesn't even have Channel 5 yet FFS!

Hopefully this will change over the next year or two so it's a genuine rival to Sky's monopoly.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I only keep sky for the PVR but a quick glance at my recordings reveals that I hardly ever record anything that I couldn't get on freeview, I would like HD but I don't want to pay any more.

Humax are releasing a freesat HD PVR at around xmas time, it's supposed to have a very good EPG with features such as auto +1 hour when recordings clash.

I plan to ditch sky then.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Sky HD == Sky SD with an upscaler.
    No its not

i.e. HD for the fools who'll pay Sky for any old carp.

As for Apple TV doing HD. Fine if you call 720p HD. I don't.
    720p is HD.. its more than SD so it qualifies

More importantly... is there that much enjoyment difference between a decently upscaled SD picture and a HD broadcast?

IMO No

At no point have I ever watched a blu ray movie on an HD screen spending the whole time marvelling at the quality of the picture.
    Also, I have never been dissappointed by a film because it was only standard broadcast quality (albeit upscaled).

Moving images on a screen can get away with a lot less resolution than static images. Your eyes don't focus on one part all the time so a slight loss in quality doesn't really matter, your brain and eyes won't bother with the extra information provided by HD.

The exception to this is video games when you will need better detail as at certain times you will be focusing your attention on a small section of the screen.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied

As for Apple TV doing HD. Fine if you call 720p HD. I don't.
    Don't remember asking for an opinion in my post. Particularly one from such an afficionado as yourself...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X