• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: I fancy a pint

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I fancy a pint"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    I wussed out yesterday and applied for a National Savings account with a crappy interest rate. At least it'll save me the hassle of applying for compensation if another bank goes under...
    It's a shame that Northern Rock aren't allowed to take more deposits - that was looking good for a while for up to £250k instant access.

Not that I have ANY form of savings anywhere, which is why I'm not that fussy about it.

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Just off to the pub for lunch so I'll have a pint for you...of course over here they are not full pints for some strange reason, but hey, swings and roundabouts - the pints here are smaller but my funds are safe in my govt backed and non-exposed Australasian bank.

If you can get your funds offshore things are going OK in the Pacific zone *and* our interest rates are still around 7% for deposits.

I know! send all your money to me, and...

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    I don't know about Dow Jones, but FTSE 100 only needs a 3000 point rise to prove these brokers right:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...08-767067.html

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    what exactly do you do HAB? apart from eat pot noodle in an obviously neanderthal way...
    I have to be a bit cagey on that, sorry. I am the owner/manager and it’s something to do with the financial sector.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    I wussed out yesterday and applied for a National Savings account with a crappy interest rate. At least it'll save me the hassle of applying for compensation if another bank goes under...

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied
    That is what I did in November last year... I swear it has been more stressful moving it about, opening accounts and trying to keep an eye out for who could bomb next than it would have been to have the house price drop by 13% so far. I really think we will start to see bigger falls in house prices from the start of next year, especially with the share prices falling like this. All the fake credit that was built up over the last decade seems to be being sucked out of the system at a vast rate of knots, can't see how house prices can do anything but tank.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    A friend of mine has just sold his house and is renting while the market bombs. He's a little worried, to say the least, about having his cash in the bank at the moment and is hoping that they last until the weekend so that he can split the cash between a few places....

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Ah, it's only money.

(Evening, Mr. Ferret, sir )
    Not my money thank god! Had a fright last week with too much money in Icesave, caught a whiff of the trouble last Friday and withdrew pretty much all of it by CHAPS so got lucky! No money seems to be safe at the moment whether you have it in bricks and mortar, shares or cash. Shocking how the whole thing has imploded. Kicking myself for not buying gold at $740 a few weeks ago as I had told myself I would buy at that level

So lovely to see you back FaQQer, really missed you on here

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Ah, it's only money.

(Evening, Mr. Ferret, sir )

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied
    7.33% drop according to the NL mouthpiece:
    http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/f.../2/default.stm

Got in about 3pm after a meeting and beeb were reporting:
    "Shares rally after intervention"

Did some work, had tea, put the kiddies to bed and the story title had turned into:
    "US stocks slide to five-year low"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7660568.stm

Shameless the way they try and cover these things up.
    Last edited by ferret; 9 October 2008, 21:15. Reason: Added beeb ramping

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    oo they we're near the close and it was 9000,

8579 is just ridiculou !! a 6.5% fall according to the only english news i have available cnn..

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    What are you talking about - he's got another 6600 posts to go?

Or do we not count posts on CUK any more?
    he hoped that the DJIA wouldn't drop any lower than 8000 the other day. looks like it could be there very soon.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    as i remember it, if the dow jones hit 9800, as HAB predicted a while back when it was at 12,000, then a certain client of his was gonna get on a plane and come kick his backside .. i'd hate to think what they're gonna do at 9,000 but either way it makes an AtW night look tame..

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by BigTime View Post
    Should hit your 8k tomorrow.
    What are you talking about - he's got another 6600 posts to go?

Or do we not count posts on CUK any more?

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Good job I didn't go early. I would have missed the fun and games of the sell-off.
    F*** me, that was one hell of a sell off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X