• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: dow limbo

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "dow limbo"

Collapse

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
    Yawwwwwwwn

The sharemarket goes down, then it goes up, then it goes down (repeat as necessary).

Look! I can predict the future... the sharemarket will go down, but then... it will go up again. Advice you can take to the bank.

Perhaps we should start a thread about the tide - look! its down again!

enough already.
    Its called retracements Try drawing a few fibonaccis on some charts.
    But to be fair, I've never seen swings as big as this.

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Originally posted by BigTime View Post
    i'm sorry it upsets you stan but no doubt you appreciate this is more than the usual ebb and flow. you sound like you're in denial about your losses and hearing market discussions are understandably aggravating.
    No not upset. The sharemarket is not actually real, until you have to sell your shares. Its like overcapitalising on your house, or being in negative equity - its just a meaningless number on a piece of paper somewhere. If you have good stocks in blue-chip companies it doesn't matter if they drop massively in value for a while, and of course if you are still buying shares then a crash like this is godsend - everything is so much cheaper at the moment.

if you buy a house to live in, invest in shares to reap the benefits of owning part of a successful company, and (this bit is really important) realise that happiness really has absolutely nothing to do with money, then this whole 'crisis' is just a highly interesting spectacle.

So, sharemarket up or down tomorrow? *tosses coin*

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
    Yawwwwwwwn

The sharemarket goes down, then it goes up, then it goes down (repeat as necessary).

Look! I can predict the future... the sharemarket will go down, but then... it will go up again. Advice you can take to the bank.

enough already.
    i'm sorry it upsets you stan but no doubt you appreciate this is more than the usual ebb and flow. you sound like you're in denial about your losses and hearing market discussions are understandably aggravating.

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Yawwwwwwwn

enough already.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    The Dow. Finally closed at 9447
    Oh, you're getting delayed quotes. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    What market are you watching?
    The Dow. Finally closed at 9447

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Closing figure in 3 minutes, it just seems to drop and drop.
    What market are you watching?

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Aye, bit rough. I'd put the lower support level a bit higher than 7500 at around 8000.

We shall have to see what tomorrow brings. It's may be time to hold our noses and allow the government to take equity stakes in the UK banks. It's a better plan than the US one, but the devil will be in the details.

This story has a lot longer to run.
    Closing figure in 3 minutes, it just seems to drop and drop.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Erm...I think we passed that

9000, Any takers? I said 9000? Well thats the next level of support.

OK, see you at 7500 then!
    Aye, bit rough. I'd put the lower support level a bit higher than 7500 at around 8000.

We shall have to see what tomorrow brings. It's may be time to hold our noses and allow the government to take equity stakes in the UK banks. It's a better plan than the US one, but the devil will be in the details.

This story has a lot longer to run.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    looks like the ftse is shafted tomorrow then. looking on the brightside there should be some cheap shares to buy to give me an income when i join the bench in 3 weeks.
    Government rescue plan to be announced before the market opens tomorrow.

Whether it'll have any effect or not is a different story...

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    looks like the ftse is shafted tomorrow then. looking on the brightside there should be some cheap shares to buy to give me an income when i join the bench in 3 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    9500 today?
    Erm...I think we passed that

9000, Any takers? I said 9000? Well thats the next level of support.

OK, see you at 7500 then!

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    That used to be a good scalp for a time back in 2002-2003. As soon as GWB starts to speak short Spoos and cover towards the end of him speaking.
    sounds like we need to buy a few of those - the woman of bloomberg just said 1391 is expected this quarter.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    it was dropping as Bush was talking so i assumed the worst.
    That used to be a good scalp for a time back in 2002-2003. As soon as GWB starts to speak short Spoos and cover towards the end of him speaking.

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    it was dropping as Bush was talking so i assumed the worst.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X